The hardest part of my Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mozah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It wasn't setting up the 55g tank my wife and kids got me for my birthday...

Not my constant paranoia that led to excessive water testing...

Not the struggle to pick the fish I want...

It wasn't staring at the empty tank, I talked myself into getting live plants to stress about.

It wasn't even the 27 days it took to get to the point where it could cycle 4ppm of ammonia into nitrAtes. Yeah I even made sure it did it twice for good measure.

It wasn't the massive water change last night and getting ready...

It /is/ the four hours I have to wait to leave work. It's awful... pure torture.

So once my 4 o'clock meeting is over or hopefully cancelled because everyone wants to get on with the weekend, it's of to pick up 12 Green/Albino/Reg. Tiger Barbs, an albino bristlenose and a regular one. The plan is to eventually add a couple of smaller groups of barbs in later. Probably Black Ruby, Gold, and Odessa barbs, some mixture of those three any how. Unless I change my barb-orientated mind.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. If you can make time go faster, I'll give you a cookie.

Congratulations and awesome job on your fishless cycle! Personally I don't care for Tiger Barbs as they're just too aggressive and nippy for the type of peaceful community tanks I like. Also, normal Plecos can reach almost 2 feet! It may be a better idea to stick with the Bristlenose for now, and maybe add some Otos down the road when the algae is a little more prevalent. Great job!

Definitely on the pleco. I a standard bristlenose to go with the albino. As much as I love plecos, but can't bring myself to cram one of the biggerones into a large tank.

Gonna stick with the bristlenose's and hope that satisfies the craving.

eco23 said:
Congratulations and awesome job on your fishless cycle! Personally I don't care for Tiger Barbs as they're just too aggressive and nippy for the type of peaceful community tanks I like. Also, normal Plecos can reach almost 2 feet! It may be a better idea to stick with the Bristlenose for now, and maybe add some Otos down the road when the algae is a little more prevalent. Great job!

I have always had barbs of some sort and really enjoy them but yea they can be a bit on the fussy side. I have had great success keeping 5+. At 5 or more they seem to mellow out. But then again I only keep barbs and clown loaches which really do well together. With a barb tank you really gotta find the right tank mates or you will have problems and your options will be somewhat limited of course.

Back
Top Bottom