the hood is done now time to paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great looking hood. I also have a 46 gal bowfront and have been thinking about building a hood for it. Would you give more detail on how you made the curved front and any drawings or assembly details. :)

Thanks.

well if you have the same tank as i do i can give you the plns for the top. and as for bowing the wood that was a lot of ork. over a week just to bow it, i used 1/2 birch plywood. and we had to cut a 10 inch wide strip (that was how tall i wanted the top) and my peace had to be 48" long becasue how the plays fell in the wood, then i took one of the truck straps with the rachet thing on them to make them tight down on the truck (if you dont know what i am talking about i will find a pic) then i put both peaces of wood side by side and then took the tie down and gave them a slight bend, then put wet rags over them and then plastic and set them out in the sun, every day we had to get more of a bend out of them till we were past the wanted bow. you have to go over the bend becasue they will move back. it took me a week to get the bend i wanted and for it to hold it. do the bending slowly, or you will brak the wood. here are the plans for the top, ask me if you do not get them i can help talk you through them. ok so give me a min to update my upload quota it will be later today that i get them posted

Hood Plans

Thanks for the plans WarOrks. I wont be able to start on my hood for at least another month but your plans and tips have me looking forward to the project now. I was struggling on how to make the bowed front. Using a ratchet tie-down for a type of clamp is a great idea.

Thanks again. I will let you know when I build mine.

but remember that you must not rush the bowing, or it will not turn out. it takes a lot of time for it to hold it and not snap. but if you have any questions just shoot me a pm and i will answer them as quick as i get them.

On my canopy, I used Kilz primer on the inside and outside, and then used an oil based enamel..black outside, white inside. I have AHsupply reflectors too...the interior paint is more about blocking moisture damage.

Back
Top Bottom