the horribly mysteriously difficult art of tying crap onto rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themox

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys.

so i've got a whole bunch of nice rocks to add to a new planted aquarium. nothing overly sexy, just moss to start and some dwarf hairgrass and a few ferns.

i'm having horrible trouble trying to tie and keep fastened, the moss to the rocks! i'm using fishing line so it's quite hard to keep fastened and tight. it ends up coming quite loose when i put it in the tank. any tips or tricks? i'm all thumbs it would seem.

should i just use cotton thread instead?

themox said:
hey guys.

so i've got a whole bunch of nice rocks to add to a new planted aquarium. nothing overly sexy, just moss to start and some dwarf hairgrass and a few ferns.

i'm having horrible trouble trying to tie and keep fastened, the moss to the rocks! i'm using fishing line so it's quite hard to keep fastened and tight. it ends up coming quite loose when i put it in the tank. any tips or tricks? i'm all thumbs it would seem.

should i just use cotton thread instead?

Lol, this was totally me 2 weeks ago :)

What type of Rock?

Can you drill a small hole to feed the line through?

This way you can loop it and should stay stationary.

I used a small rubber band to attach my java fern to a rock and some driftwood. That worked well. I've also heard thread works better than fishing line, mostly because it stays tied more easily.

thanks guys. i'm honestly not sure at all what kind of rock it is.

thanks jeta

what did you do with yours andrews?

i know it's ok to use, well i hope it's ok to use as i've tested it with PH Down solution many times and it did not fizz. i'm sorry i don't have more info but i'll update with a picture later! thanks pton

thanks WBA, i think i will be using thread from now on due to the same reason.

convict...holy crap that looks awesome. sold on the superglue gel! (or thread if it's cheaper lol) maybe both.

themox said:
convict...holy crap that looks awesome. sold on the superglue gel! (or thread if it's cheaper lol) maybe both.

Isn't his tank amazing? Don't use thread, lol, superglue all the way!

jeta and convict, would i use the gel with the wire under it? to hold the wire in place, and then wrap the moss under it? i guess that could work.

it's primarily for the moss covered rock look and less for my ferns at this stage; the ferns are pretty content sitting in nooks in my driftwood :)

themox said:
jeta and convict, would i use the gel with the wire under it? to hold the wire in place, and then wrap the moss under it? i guess that could work.

it's primarily for the moss covered rock look and less for my ferns at this stage; the ferns are pretty content sitting in nooks in my driftwood :)

I have to say I used thread for all my plants I used a green seeing thread and it ties tight then after a month or so when the roots grab I cut it and slide it out it's cheap as dirt and a lot comes on the spool lol

Here are two of my planted tanks

I never used the superglue but I imagine it works fine judging by his beautiful tank and jeta has some amazing tanks as well

Attachments

• image-227076783.jpg
    image-227076783.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2798722115.jpg
    image-2798722115.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3644542059.jpg
    image-3644542059.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 83
themox said:

That would work just fine IMO and thank you for the kind words.

I guess you could. I would just dry the moss off with a paper towel and then glue it directly to the surface, as long as they are both dry it should work well, just remember to give it a little time to set up.

thanks guys. this has been great.

I haven't looked back to ask who asked about what kind of rock it is, so I've attached pictures of my failed attempt at wiring by hand.

the moss is all over the shop so I've just left it for
now. main aim is to get the moss growing first in this tank, and then slowly bring it across once it's grown into enough to cover all the rocks in my new planted set up.

image-2271344219.jpg

image-4222454610.jpg

image-2365644060.jpg

image-2154645911.jpg
that last one is my virtual hug to you guys for helping :)

I found this method on another forum and passed it on to my plant club members.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/6000-fiss-mini-mountain.html

IMHO Java Moss is more difficult to deal with. Less structure and goes all over. I've converted to other mosses mostly now.
Xmas Moss
Erect Moss
Flame Moss
Fissidens
Mini Xmas Moss
Peacock Moss
Subwassertang ( not a moss )

What can I say, my Shrimp love moss :)

Mine is Not pretty and perfect but I'm learning.
I've mostly tied mine down to driftwood.

Use superglue gel, dry and then wrap the moss around the object and then tack it down in a few spots.

Not trying to hijack but... when you say use superglue gel, dry, and then wrap the moss... my mind visualizes putting superglue on a bare rock, letting it dry, and then wrapping moss. As I'm currently trying to do the same with a rock and java moss, I'm a bit confused about the first step. I'll admit here to being blonde, if it helps?

I'm guessing there's something involving the plant in the "use superglue, dry" part, but if there is, I'm missing it...

Cindi

Not trying to hijack but... when you say use superglue gel, dry, and then wrap the moss... my mind visualizes putting superglue on a bare rock, letting it dry, and then wrapping moss. As I'm currently trying to do the same with a rock and java moss, I'm a bit confused about the first step. I'll admit here to being blonde, if it helps?

I'm guessing there's something involving the plant in the "use superglue, dry" part, but if there is, I'm missing it...

Cindi

Cindi, my mind went to the same place.....we've got to be missing something. :oops:

SolvingNormal said:

Cindi

Dry off the bits to be glued first (superglue won't stick to wet), then proceed with the glueing.

Back
Top Bottom