The idiocy of some peope....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so im a 14 year old aquarium hobbyist

So at school today i heard this kid a couple years younger than me talking about his "freshwater moray eel"

I had talked to him before so i went over to ask a few questions since i have looked deeply into eels for one of my tanks on several occasions

I asked if it was salt or fresh

He said he was keeping it was in FRESHWATER!!!!

i then tried explaining to him that there are no true freshwater moray eels and that morays require brackish/marine water

"but its a FRESHWATER moray eel!!" He acted like i was an idot

Slightly offended i asked what tank setup he had it in

He was keeping a 7inch eel in 20GALLONS

at this point i was really pissed at this kids attitude so i again tried to explain that his eel wont be healthy in that tank and that morays require at least 90-100 gallons

He was also keeping a "dragon eel" in the tank which i assumed was a dragon goby

After about 10 minutes of arguing with the idiot i just walked away

I felt bad so i decided to send him a few links on how to PROPERLY care fir his eel

When i saw him later in the day is reaction was "i dont care"

What do i do???

THIS IS LITERACY TORTURE

How long does the moray have in freshwater if he claimed to have had it for a month???

He also said that he's putting a teacup stingray in the tank

*facepalm

Unfortunately we can't save them all, you've said your peace now smile and let it go knowing you did the right thing. Like the saying goes "Evil prevails when good men do nothing".

Last edited:
Unfortunately there's nothing more that can be done... There's no ASPCA or equivalent that looks after fish welfare, so the best we can do is attempt to educate those who are willing to listen.

I've run into a similar case with my boss who keeps a goldfish in one of those tiny bowls with no filtration... He keeps boasting of the fact that the poor thing is still kicking "happy as a clam" a month later despite being told by the Petco employee that it would be dead or dying in a week in that setup. I asked him what he'd do when it eventually dies and his response was "Hey, they're cheap, I'll just grab another one"... Drives me crazy, especially since I can't exactly tell off my boss... So long story short, I feel your pain...

THIS IS LITERACY TORTURE

Haha :D Sorry but that's a little funny ;)

Animal cruelty is everywhere sadly. All we can do is give people the information they need to make intelligent and thoughtful decisions regarding their fish and hope they're good enough people to care.

You have done your best by trying to educate home. We can't save them all but at least you tried. You just got to let it bee, n hope he realize what he is doing before its too late :)

Ok so im a 14 year old aquarium hobbyist

So at school today i heard this kid a couple years younger than me talking about his "freshwater moray eel"

I had talked to him before so i went over to ask a few questions since i have looked deeply into eels for one of my tanks on several occasions

I asked if it was salt or fresh

He said he was keeping it was in FRESHWATER!!!!

i then tried explaining to him that there are no true freshwater moray eels and that morays require brackish/marine water

"but its a FRESHWATER moray eel!!" He acted like i was an idot

Slightly offended i asked what tank setup he had it in

He was keeping a 7inch eel in 20GALLONS

at this point i was really pissed at this kids attitude so i again tried to explain that his eel wont be healthy in that tank and that morays require at least 90-100 gallons

He was also keeping a "dragon eel" in the tank which i assumed was a dragon goby

After about 10 minutes of arguing with the idiot i just walked away

I felt bad so i decided to send him a few links on how to PROPERLY care fir his eel

When i saw him later in the day is reaction was "i dont care"

What do i do???

THIS IS LITERACY TORTURE

How long does the moray have in freshwater if he claimed to have had it for a month???

He also said that he's putting a teacup stingray in the tank

*facepalm

People can be so ignorant. After reading this I want to punch that kid in face.(not like a crazed psychopath though... I don't know. Anyway you read this I sound like a weirdo. Don't judge. :) ) I'm 15, and the idiots I run into on a daily basis amaze me with there little knowledge about anything. Keep saving them critters :) They're so cute :p

Some people just won't listen. Just hope that he doesn't have the disposable cash to replace it when the inevitable happens. Hopefully the wasted money might change his mind about not researching any creatures in his care from now on.

Oh boy kid, just relax.
You gotta lot more idiots yer gonna run into your life.

You can't fix em all and you'll make yourself nuts if you try!

There everywhere.

Yeah anybody driving slower than me is an idiot, anyone driving faster than me is a maniac!

While I feel for the fish, unfortunately it's going to happen, and all we can do is take care of our own "wet pets" and inform those willing to listen. When his fish start dying and he runs into trouble because off our water quality, he might listen. Depends on how much money it costs his parents on stock. Either he'll learn or his parents will stop buying fish, regardless I don't think he cares that much.

The literacy torture irony got me took, lolololol

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's like that ugly girl in finding nemo, Darla. You can't do anything about it. Just send him this picture. Your dude probably don't know about cycling. If this fish is lucky, he'll die soon and won't suffer anymore.

darla_finding_nemo_by_digitalwideresource-d5ce49k.jpg

Oh boy kid, just relax.
You gotta lot more idiots yer gonna run into your life.

You can't fix em all and you'll make yourself nuts if you try!

There everywhere.

How true, energizer bunny got a good line in too!

That one above just about sums it up, yeah mate I got a shark!

Well my sharks bigger than your shark, it goes on. . .

Mr lobster, it's good you care such a great deal, go on to be a good somebody.

Back
Top Bottom