The joys of the underwater filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The power in our town was out for an hour today. I noticed because my tank was silent when I walked in the room. No worries though because the filters are always submerged and the bacteria will be fine. For the longest time I wondered why people said not to just unplug filters or turn them off. Then when I joined here I realized that it is because the media would be exposed. Just had to smile today knowing that the only thing I had to worry about was the ice cream melting in the freezer.

we went 2 days without power because me and dad got a wild hair and started rewiring the crappy breaker box that was origanlly here

submerged is good, but over 4 hours, and the water will run out of oxygen for the bacteria, and they'll start to die off.

if the power is gonna be out for 4+ hours, pull out the media, rinse it out a little, then toss it in the main tank, which will have a LOT more O2 than the canister/HOB.

Back
Top Bottom