The leaves on my plants are turning a little brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank is cycling and it still has low levels of ammonia and nitrite, and recently, the leaves of my plants(dunno what its called, its short with big leaves) are getting quite brown. Is this bad? How can I save them? I can maybe get pictures up later.

Endgame319...

It is very possible that the plant you have is SUPPOSED to get brownish. Short with big leaves sounds like it might be one of the Cryptocoryne species. Many of them have leaves that take on a brownish or reddish/brown hue....like certain varieties of C. wendtii.

Pictures would be VERY helpful. Oh....you don't mention how much light you've got on the tank or what size it is. That information would be helpful too!

did u ever let the plants sit out of the water when u were cleaning the tank?

if the plants are exposed to the air for too long they will wilt.. u wont notice until u put them back in...and then they will change brown.. :cry:

make sure u find out what kind of plant it is...ask the guy who handed u the plant what it is before u run for the register.. :p

if there is no fish in the tank, it might not be getting the nutrients it needs. the problem could also not be enough light in the tank.. i have that prob myself :(

have you tried looking at plantgeek.com to see what it is? thats how i found out what one of my plants was when i forgot to look before buying it (it was in a 'sale' tank at petsmart)

Im not sure whats happening to the plant, but I see a few leaves towards the middle that should be cut off and done away with. Are you adding any kind of salt to the water? Feeding the roots with anything? The new leave at the bottom, how long has it been since that sprouted?

Back
Top Bottom