THE lighting fixture for me - SERIOUSLY this time, lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
http://www.ah-supply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5154

When it was pointed out to me that I was looking at 24" fixtures instead of 48" fixtures (yes, I AM that much of a goon), I looked at the price for the 48" fixture and it was waaay too much money.

MH's is what I would personally rather (I think, lol) but the fixtures are just TOO expensive for us right now. I didn't want to do PC's or VHO's so T-5's are the perfect compromise.

Ok, opinions welcome! Thanks - again, lol

Is there anyway at all to wait for the preferred MHs? Sounds like that's what you really want, and I hate to see you buy 2 lighting fixtures over the next year. Then again, I have no experience w/T-5's to really think you might not stop at them anyway and not have to buy MH later.

I have T5s and love them! I do have to say, they are my 2nd lighting kit, so I don't know too much about lighting in general. They light up the room and the tank! I got mine in Lancaster, Pa. I got the Nova 5 extreme, 48" 216W for $199.99 at thatpetplace. Great price matching/shipping and customer service.

I’d also have to agree with Ray on waiting it out for the lights you want versus lights you will be happy with for a short while. Since this is going to be FOWLR for the start those lights are fine but sooner or later you are going to be bit by the coral bug and wish you had the more powerful lights. Especially since it’s a 110 high 48 7/8 x 19 x 30 ¾.

What’s another $300+? Beats having to shell out $600+ in the future for MH? I assume you are considering corals since you’re contemplating the T5 lights or otherwise you would just get NO lights.

Since this is in a wall why are you buying a hood and not DIY? You could make your own lighting a bit cheaper.

MH Kit with bulb (250w) = $150

That fixture is $244, $50 more for 500w of MH doesnt sound too bad to me.

Can T5 penetrate deep water like MH?

i think that you could get some MH's cheaper than that...especially if you look on ebay, i know that theres one thats 105 buy it now, and its a 400w one. dont know what brand, but it said everything new EXCEPT the housing...so that would basically be like getting a new one right? the housing shouldnt affect how it runs surely?

or you could look on the for sale part, and theres always people selling MH's for cheap.

Hi all - thanks for the honesty, it is much appreciated.

As far as the reflectors go, it is dually noted and Daniel has told me he has no problem retrofitting things or even building a hood later on for retroffitting fixtures into. If we even go reef, it won't be for at least two to three years. With the wedding coming in October of '07 and the renovations Daniel is doing to the house, I would have no money to properly provide for a reef tank - or even afford the corals and the food for them, lol.

Back
Top Bottom