The Lone Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
So here's my dilemma. I have a community that I fear is close to or already overstocked, I also have a lone danio in there that is all by himself. So I'm trying to figure out if I should leave him in there alone even though he's a schooling fish. The other option is I pick up 3 or 4 more danio buddies to keep him happy or I give him to the LFS. I'd rather not get rid of him, I feel attached to all my fish :p

Details on the tank as it is:
50 gallon breeder
lightly planted
Aquaclear 70 filter
75 degrees
50% water changes every 1 to 2 weeks.
They get fed twice a day, mixture of flakes, sinking shirmp pellets and algae wafers.

Inhabitants:
7 Swordtails - 5 of them were born in the tank
3 Yoyo Loaches
2 Weather Loaches
2 Columbian Sharks - They're likely gonna have to get moved to a bigger tank some day but for now they're both under 5" or so
2 Bristlenose Pleco (adult) - there are also 7 or 8 babies that were born in the last month or so. As soon as they get big enough I'm gonna be giving them to good homes or the LFS.
1 Danio
3 -4 Assassin Snails
Miscellaneous other snails of all varieties
A very healthy population of cherry/ghost shrimp.

So like I said, the tank is probably technically overstocked but for the most part everybody is healthy. Do you think I'm better off just leaving the danio in there by himself or would it be cruel to stress him like that? Would another 3 or 4 danios really push things over the top?

I'd add some more to keep him company. Could you add more filtration to the tank? IMO as long as your fish are healthy and the water quality is good adding a few more danios will not push the tank over the edge. They're little.

I too would get him some company. My danios are very busy little fish and while they don't really swim together in the same fashion as my other schooling fish (tetras), they love to spend the day chasing each other around. IMO, even just two or three companions would go a long way towards keeping your danio happy.

I ended up picking him up 4 buddies to hang out with. A mix of gold, zebra and leopard danios. Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom