The millionth filter media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have searched and searched and come up with so many different answers. I was wondering if people would be willing to share their own canister filter setup and the reasoning behind the order of the media, etc.

I have a Rena Filstar XP3 for a 54 gallon tank. I am 100% willing to buy new filter media. At my disposal, I have filter floss, pot scrubbers, Eheim lav, and then the 3 layers of sponge the filter came with. I also have carbon pellets. The filter has 3 large baskets which all have dividers.

I have a prefilter sponge as well. I know to put the sponges coarse, medium, fine in the bottom basket. Then half of what I read says to use chemical filtration next if you're going to use it - which I will be using carbon for a couple weeks for good reason. But the other half says to put it as the second to last thing followed by the floss. Some folks say to use ceramic rings as the first line of defense, some say don't use ceramic rings at all.

What's your best filter setup that works for you? And should I use the Lav, get Substrat pro, use the pot scrubbers, all of the above? The tank will be moderately planted and also moderately stocked as well if that makes a difference.

I filter first mechanical, then chemical (as needed), then biological.

I would recommend arranging your baskets so that the water passes first through the sponges, then carbon, then eheim lav.

In a couple weeks when you remove the carbon, I would replace it with the floss.

I filter first mechanical, then chemical (as needed), then biological.

I would recommend arranging your baskets so that the water passes first through the sponges, then carbon, then eheim lav.

In a couple weeks when you remove the carbon, I would replace it with the floss.
I'd say floss and Seachem Purigen. It works wonders. It's a favorite on this forum and gets rave reviews everywhere. I use it and would not be without it.

Back
Top Bottom