The more I learn about cycling, the more confused I get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baronbasher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Other than some experience with aquariums as a kid, I'm pretty much a fish-noob.. So about 23 days ago I went out and purchased a 40gal breeder tank. Next day I added ten of the $0.13 minnows, the day after that I found the aquariumadvice phone app, and I have been hooked on this site ever since.

After reading a few of the cycling threads I started using the API Master Test Kit to monitor the toxicity of the water. I've had water in the tank for about three and half weeks, in the second week I had to do a few substantial PWC's after having nitrIte levels that were off the chart.

Last week the ammo was just above 0.25ppm, and the nitrIte was just above 1.0ppm.. Then my impulsive nature got the best of me, so I re-homed the minnows and replaced them with 8 mbuna out of the baby tank at the LFS and a few other fish. Since doing a 70% PWC six days ago, slowly ammo and nitrIte have both dropped to zero, and nitrAte is rising steadily.

I'm assuming that these small fish only produce a minimal amount of ammo and that's the reason the tank appears to be cycled. I'm not sure if I should be happy with these results. If I keep the bioload low, should the tank be able to sustain low ammo and nitrIte?

Those fish have a big bioload, but probably a little down the road (if they're really small as you indicated). If ammonia and nitrite are 0, you're good to go. Just keep an eye. That tank isn't really appropriate for mbuna, they need a 4' tank... so you may want to look at getting some fish better suited for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom