The ole 10 gallon question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swankyspoon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Folks I have a 10 gallon cycled tank. I was thinking of putting in the following.

4 male guppies
1(maybe 2) olive nerite snails

What do you guys think? Will this work well?

I think that it sounds fine:). IMO you could add maybe 2-4 more guppies... But I'd hear from others as well.

Yeah, that works, and you would still have room for maybe a couple more guppies, like AquaKai said above

Sounds good to me also. It's refreshing to find someone who wants to put the appropriate fish in the right sized tank lol. What kind of guppies were you thinking? The Cobra guppies are very cool.

Thanks! Can you mix & match guppies? Aqadvisor warns against no females in the tank. What are the consequences?

swankyspoon said:
Thanks! Can you mix & match guppies? Aqadvisor warns against no females in the tank. What are the consequences?

Lots and lots and lots of little guppies would be the consequences. If you do decide to put some in there keep a 1m:2-3f ratio because if not the females would be tormented by the male to mate a lot.

Ah. I see. So no problems having all males! Thanks! And you can keep different varieties of guppies together?

swankyspoon said:
Ah. I see. So no problems having all males! Thanks! And you can keep different varieties of guppies together?

Yup. They won't do anything to each other unless the individual guppy is aggressive:)

Thanks for your help guys! We have purchased three of the four we plan to purchase.

1 Male red-gold tuxedo guppy
1 Male yellow guppy
1 Male turquoise guppy

The store we went to did not have any cobra guppies in stock, and I know another nearby shop has them, so we will get one shortly.

Thanks again!

I will :) When I bring in new fish - I don't turn on the aquarium light so they won't get even more stressed (does this actually make a difference? I also don't feed on the first day), so it isn't the best evening for pictures. But pictures will follow.

As promised, here are some pictures of my 10 gallon guppy tank. There are currently 3 guppies, which will be upped to four in the nearish future (a cobra guppy). I will also add a couple of Nerite Snails (zebra if I can find them). As you can see from the photos, the red-gold tuxedo guppy is gorgeous.

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

View attachment 58828

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 74
I plan on doing the same tank as you, minus the snails. I already have enough (like 50 or more) in my saltwater reef tanks :)

Thanks! They are a lot of fun. They bounce around the tank a lot. Sometimes they are clustered together and chasing each others, and other times they are on their own. They also seem to have distinct personalities!

:) I am really enjoying these guys. They seem fairly happy in a 10 gallon.

Oh yeah, I think guppies do great in a 10g tank. I agree totally with chantal about their fishonalities too. I have had some really chilled out ones and some really feisty ones. :)m Let us know when you are able to get the cobra you want.

Thanks! I ended up not going with a cobra. I got a stunning black tuxedo guppy, that go well with the yellow, blue, and red-gold tuxedo guppy! And a Ruby Nerite Snail on the bottom!

Back
Top Bottom