The photo's have arrived!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BC...she is already wanting to get in it with a pool raft and sunbathe!

MHaynes..I'm still debating. Right now I have a bunch of feeder gold fish in it. But then again, I also have a turtle in there that is about a foot long. He may be eating them.

I would love to have some koi, but I'm concerned about what they will do to the vegitation once I get some in there.

SF said:
And you can feel free to delete those double post if you like.
I fixed it without thinking, but your attachments are still there :D

Great looking pond! Will the turtle eat the vegitation?

I heard the turtle will eat all the fish. The fish are good for the vegetation... they feed off the oxygenators and the moss that grows on all of it... not a problem on my end!

The turtle hasnt show any signs of being interested in the plants. The fish on the other hand I'm sure are a little worried. But the pond is big enough and he is slow enough that he shouldnt be able to eat them ALL any time soon.

Thanks for fixing that...it was bugging me!

LOL...probably! My wife really likes the turtle, but I think he may have to go eventually. I cant afford to feed him a 35.00 koi. But for now, he is a cool addition.

My niece wants to name him Franklin...like the kids cartoon. :roll:

Koi, very beautiful fish, can get pricey, can live a long time. They are also notorious for rooting around the bottom and causing havoc with your pond plants. If you keep many koi, extra filtration seems to be nessecary (so I've heard/read)

Goldfish, nowhere near as pretty, but they don't destroy plants, just nibble some extra leaves.

This is a very personal choice. I went with goldies, due to price, the fact I love plants, and that predators visit my pond from time to time and eat some of my fish. If I lost a $30 or$50 fish to a Heron or Racoon, I'd be furious. All I keep are feeder goldfish, Comets, and Shubunkins. did not pay more than $1 for any fish in the pond. When some dissapear, I'm not happy, but I'm not too angry either.

As I said, very personal choice.

I think I am going to put a fake Heron at the waters edge to discourage others from showing up. Also..If I start having a problem with racoons, I am going to string an electric wire around the pond. Its discrete but effective.

I am really leaning towards koi. I will just have to make the nessisary adjustments with my "planting" habits.

Cor..how big is your largest goldie and how long have you had it?

WalMart sells 'em for $4.50 for decent sized ones... mine doubled in length in just over a month... Yes, the tool at the bottom and go nuts at the surface at night... no real problems with the plants. I've got goldies in mine too that were donated by a friend who is overrun...

Like cc said... personal choice.

I am not feeding mine right now because I'm not sure what TO feed them. Surely I'm not tossing flake food in there...then again..their too small to eat pellets..

Cor..how big is your largest goldie and how long have you had it?

Prolly about 10 inches, 2 that size. I think those 2 are 5 years old. various predatory events make it doubtful that I have any originals from my first year.

Thats another thing to consider, Koi get much bigger than that. It's when they get big that they get desructive with yer plants, as I understand it.

1 more thing I didn't really mention, I don't feed my goldfish much probably twice a week. that keeps them actively hunting down 'skeeter larvae, and eating algae. It's not cruel either, lots of natural food grows in the pond (and bugs fall in) all summer long. This also means I'm not adding nutrients into the pond through food.

Squishy, you can get smaller pellets, and the stick-type food they sell for pond fish will get soggy and break apart, then they'll eat it.

I was using Wardley pellets... it gets soft then after awhile, sinks. Then the fish troll the bottom. Interestingly, they won't eat at the surface during the day... they wait til the cover of darkness and clean up. Fun to watch them choose someone to go to the surface and knock the food down.

Excellent...thanks guys. I was assuming that they were eating what algae may be in the tank. I havent seen any of them floating belly up....and the turtle is gone. He decided to find another pond to decimate!

did you give him away?, i think koi is best fro you just because of the size of your pond ,,,, as it says in my sig. i am building i bigger pond if the koi gt too big for that, i guess i will find a bigger pond or maybe add on to my new one

I didnt give him away..he just decided to leave. He was wild caught anyway, so we didnt try to stop him when we saw him leaving.

I think I may try a few koi. They were what I originally wanted. Just because they have aspect of keeping them that are challenging doesnt mean I shouldnt keep them right!

Koi are virtually maintenance free... and fun. The pond shop that got me started has a bunch of huge ones in an indoor pond and they come to the surface for my kids to pet them. Kinda cool. And then a let down when we get home and mine hide.

yeah mine too. i have tried to train them to eat out of my hand.... they actually stay up when i come near the pond so they are getting better at it

Back
Top Bottom