The Red Claw Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thever

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased one of these last night at the LFS after chatting w/ employee about a good cleaner that eats hair algae. I had the choice of algae eater shrimp, red claw, or some Cherries. I took 1 red claw(Its only a 10 gallon tank) and whisked him off to his new home.

Set his bag in the water for a bit to acclimate temps and after a bit set him free. He sank to the bottom- and within 5 seconds, picked up a pond snail and had a snack- and 2 min later had a little tussle with my oto w otto escaping unharmed - I was shocked to say the least!

I did some searching and am struggling to find a lot of info on these guys. They do look pretty cool and seem to be efficient algae eaters, but can I get any other shrimp with him or is it like ringing the dinner bell? Only thing I was thinking of getting is some Cherries and I swear I read that somebody kept the 2 together. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Well just by the looks of it, your red-clawed shrimp will eat pretty much anything, so putting in something like cherries, they would not stand a chance. I found that they do eat string/hair algae and flake foods and pellets, but it seems like they are either aggersive, territoral, or a canivor (however you spell that)

I've read the same thing - they are classed as an omnivore thats 'opportunistic' - I think he may have to go back as 1 oto, 1 red claw and envisioned red claw campaign against the snail population - is a little bleak for a 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom