The Salt....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozquarium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Lately I've spent a lot of money trying to set up my saltwater aquarium just right and do everything by the book, but I've since talked to various people I know who say they just got water straight from the ocean and put it in their tank with a normal filter and have had a thriving tank full of fish. Is there any reason to pay for a salt mixture to make up the salt water yourself when you've got access to the ocean?

Yes
the ocean have current every sec to exchange water, while our aquarium only have specialy amount of water.

don't know if u even heard of monterey aquarium. (I think most big aquarium do that too)
they direct their water from the ocean to their whole aquarium. making the ocean the big sump~

you can try to use ocean water, but I will keep my eyes on para and other bad creature come with the water. since the water u get from the ocean will probably have tons of live form inside, if they die off in your tank, then your nitrate will raise like a rocket.

Even aquariums that get their water from the ocean STILL filter it through sand beds and normally run UV on it - and some even run it through skimmers... so it's not like they're using water right from the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom