The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What if i did excel at 75% dose and slowly go up? Ive done this with the crypts and they didnt melt. Id jist hate to move them, and have them melt because they dont like to be moved, especially with the 1.5'+ roots mine have lol

If i just kept doing excel forever, ya think it would keep the algae away for good?

Edit: exce will kill green algae too right?

75% for excel? You mean.... 175%?

If you do not overdose, you won't do anything except waste Excel.

At this point, because you have the H2O2, you best bet is to just keep using the H2O2 and dose maybe 2x the recommended dose with Excel. Yes, Excel will kill Green Algae, too, but only if you overdose. If you do not overdose, nothing will happen.

KaeJS said:
75% for excel? You mean.... 175%?

If you do not overdose, you won't do anything except waste Excel.

At this point, because you have the H2O2, you best bet is to just keep using the H2O2 and dose maybe 2x the recommended dose with Excel. Yes, Excel will kill Green Algae, too, but only if you overdose. If you do not overdose, nothing will happen.

But the bottle says not to overdose....I don't wanna kill my fish

Forget what the bottle says.

You will not kill your fish. It's only carbon. Fish are made of carbon. And so are YOU!

Dose it 2x (at least). I would dose it 2.5x or 3x, personally.

The reason it says to not overdose is for reasons like crypts melting. Algae and plants are alike. If it kills algae when overdosing, it is not the "best" for your plants when overdosing. But generally, 80% of the time, your plants will be fine.

I guarantee, though, that none of your fish will die from Excel, even if you dosed 5x.

KaeJS said:
Forget what the bottle says.

You will not kill your fish. It's only carbon. Fish are made of carbon. And so are YOU!

Dose it 2x (at least). I would dose it 2.5x or 3x, personally.

The reason it says to not overdose is for reasons like crypts melting. Algae and plants are alike. If it kills algae when overdosing, it is not the "best" for your plants when overdosing. But generally, 80% of the time, your plants will be fine.

I guarantee, though, that none of your fish will die from Excel, even if you dosed 5x.

Lol

Okay, i will try it. Thanks :)

C

I remembered to move my moss ball, he probably would have did, bcase hes a type of algae :eek:

When the bba dies, what happens? It wont just disa0pear will it?

Excuse my errors tiday, im trying out a new keyboard. I should downlod a new o ne lol

May take a couple weeks, but once the algae is dead, it will decay and become a form of detritus, turning into ammonia, then nitrite, and finally used by your plants in the form of nitrate.

Also known as the Fish Tank Ecosystem. :fish2:

I think a couple SAE's wouldn't be a bad idea, not now, but eventually. They could probably eat the bba before It starts getting bad. SAE's are the ones that eat bba right?

I think a couple SAE's wouldn't be a bad idea, not now, but eventually. They could probably eat the bba before It starts getting bad. SAE's are the ones that eat bba right?

IME SAE's don't eat algae and they get quite aggressive. I would advise against them personally.

Just my $.02.

skywhitney said:
IME SAE's don't eat algae and they get quite aggressive. I would advise against them personally.

Just my $.02.

+1 I have 2 SAE and they don't really eat algae they just eat flake food. Don't get me wrong they are cool fish but not a solution to algae.

Scratch that then :)

No change in any algae today yet. I've been overdosing about, 2-2.5 times the suggested dose.

Oh, I also stumbled on a really cool kinda new loach online, I'm gonna get one or two max. Severum mama has some coming out of qt soon, so since these new fish are coming fro m a good source, I don't think I'll run into problems again. Oh, they're called sumo loaches. They go by many other names too though

bud29 said:
Sumo Loaches are cool! (not as cool as Botia kubotai, though, IMO;))

:)

Forgot to ask, is excel a quick fix to algae, its probably gonna come back right away if I don't change something?

My dig co2 never started making co2, I dunno why, but we're out of sugar so I guess I have to wait a little while. Maybe its the diffuser, maybe I gotta replace the ceramic disk

Geez, I didn't realize my "circulation pump" turned into a real powerhead lol! I converted it and now its got a little hookup for a tube in the output which is where ill put the diy co2. I plan on running two bottles now, 1 3 liter and 1 2 liter bottle connected. A little more co2 won't hurt, its still wayyy too little to suffocate the fish, and will help more with algae :)

:)

Forgot to ask, is excel a quick fix to algae, its probably gonna come back right away if I don't change something?

My diy co2 never started making co2, I dunno why, but we're out of sugar so I guess I have to wait a little while. Maybe its the diffuser, maybe I gotta replace the ceramic disk
Using Excel to kill the algae is an easy fix but the key is to figure out the cause(s) and address those so it doesn't come right back. Does the Excel seem to be working?

I had a couple batches of DIY that never did anything, turns out the water i was using was to hot. Use warm but not hot water and it should start working (if the water was the issue)

Geez, I didn't realize my "circulation pump" turned into a real powerhead lol! I converted it and now its got a little hookup for a tube in the output which is where ill put the diy co2. I plan on running two bottles now, 1 3 liter and 1 2 liter bottle connected. A little more co2 won't hurt, its still wayyy too little to suffocate the fish, and will help more with algae :)

a lot of the pumps do, it's very handy. I have 3 of them myself. I think that it would work well for a diffuser. The second bottle is a great idea.

Last edited:
skywhitney said:
Using Excel to kill the algae is an easy fix but the key is to figure out the cause(s) and address those so it doesn't come right back. Does the Excel seem to be working?

I had a couple batches of DIY that never did anything, turns out the water i was using was to hot. Use warm but not hot water and it should start working (if the water was the issue)

a lot of the pumps do, it's very handy. I have 3 of them myself. I think that it would work well for a diffuser. The second bottle is a great idea.

Yep, it seems to be just starting to work. I see some bba startingto turn green, other places it's not though. The black/brown algae growing on rocks doesn't seem to be getting better.

Yeah, I never realized mine did lol. I'm gonna set up one bottle today, then do the other one on the other side of the tank so there's some co2 on both sides.

I got one set up, hopefully ill see some bubbles tommorrow. So far after 6 hrs I got nothing.

Hmm, I dunno. There is a little like gap of air In the tube and its going up and down as the powerhead sucks. So, when I push on the bottle, co2 goes shooting out. When I don't, its not shooting out. Well, I think its co2, because it looks nothing like air bubbles. I need to get that air out, or whatever that gap part is. It wouldn't screw up co2 production if I unhooked it from the powefhead and put it back would it?

edit: its giving out occasional puffs of co2 now. The bottle isnt firm like it would be if it was making co2 though, maybe its gets firmer as it goes....lol I dunno

edit: its air going into the tank, lol. I took it out of the phead and I'm gonna try a new batch now with the diffuser. This better work!! I also put the light back on its legs so now its like 3 inches over the top.

The new co2 still didn't start!! So forget it. I've been doing 4 caps of excel daily, its not going away as fast as I thought it would, should I up the dose?

I wonder if a check valve would help. It might help with some of the pressure that the power head is creating. It is a huge guess...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom