The test results are in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonChild

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, just a refresher, I had that school of neons die overnight. I took the water to the lfs, they said the nitrates were a little high, not enough to kill them though. I ordered a Master Freshwater Test Kit, and recieved it about 20 minutes ago. Here are the water results so far:

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Ammonia: >.25 ppm (It's between the .25 and 0 colors)

Nitrates: The color chart doesn't go that high...this is a burgendy color now. my mom, who doesn't know anything about fish, looked at the chart, looked at the water, and said "Looks like you need to do a water change, and hustle!"

pH: 7

Does this help any? *Hustles off to do a water change that is 3 weeks overdue!!*

Well - if you have a burgundy color on the nitrate scale then you are definitely way up there, and a water change is in order, maybe a 20-30% immediate change, then 10% daily until you can get this down to 40 or so, maybe higher would be okay. The ammonia is of mild concern, and might be more of a culprit. Keep a watch on that and don't add anymore fish until things are stable.

Glad you got that test kit!

A big water change now and a lesson learned.
Weekly 10 to 15 percent changes from now on. Vacuum a third to half the gravel during each change.
lfs may have people that don't keep fish at home. So no clue how important the water tests are. Glad you have a test kit now.
Just in case do a nitrate test on the tap water. Should come out 0 or very low but if there is a problem at the water treatment plant it could be high.

chasgood said:
Just in case do a nitrate test on the tap water. Should come out 0 or very low but if there is a problem at the water treatment plant it could be high.

I did, and the nitrates were zero. However, as my mom mentioned, I haven't added any water since the Tetra Genocide, and that was about 5 weeks ago. (I ran out of water conditioner) However, after the immediate water change, I let it sit while I was at work, and just tested it again, it's around 60-80 ppm.

I did a 50% change today, and tomorrow I'm doing about a 10%, then Sunday, a 25% , etc until I can get it down to where I need it to be.

Thanks everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom