The ultimate betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking to create an amazing, yet inexpensive betta enviornment. So far this is what I plan to purchase.
1x- hawkeye 5 gallon semi-hex aquarium kit- $20
1x- caribsea 5 lbs white sand- $5.19
1x small mini submersible heater(15 watts)-$-10
1x small(6-8 inch) driftwood- $3.00
Hopefully some live plants. The tank is a semi hex with dimensions (L-W-H) 16x9.5x13.5. And it has a filter, and a led light hood. The sand is because I will be doin black gravel in my 29 so I want something different. How hard will 5lbs of sand be to clean? Should I just do gravel? And then I will probably do the heater, what wattage? And then driftwood for a natural look, and then I might do a small cichlid stone for an extra 5 bucks! So I should be able to set the whole think up for around $40!! The time I will be getting this could range from next week or the end of January! So I can't wait tho! And then I plan my male blue dragonscale betta, 2-3 ghost shrimp, and Mabye a nerite snail! So any suggustions or experiance with this tank, sand in a small tank, or a good heater?
-thanks ahead of time!

I do sand in my tanks and I'll probably never go back to gravel. Looks better (opinion) cleans way easier (fact). The debris just sits on top of it and is easy to spot. It's generally a good substrate for plants but as with everything you'll need to fertilize. Sounds like a good setup to me. One question I have though. Your prices you have listed seem pretty low. Is there some kind of sale going on at your LFS?

If you want to grow live plants you'll need at least 2 inches of substrate, which will require 10 lbs of sand. Sounds like a great project! I'll be following along.

Well the tank and sand will be off wallmart.com! Wouldn't set foot in the store, but great prices!! And the sand Is there too! The heater is off amazon, and the mopani driftwood is of drs. Fosters and smith! I really can't wait for this! As a science project, I am doing a thing with live plants and measuring the amount I co2 they give off, so I will be getting the plants and sand complimentary of my mom! And as for the tank, it includes a filter, and led lights. There is a 5 gallon curved tank for 6 dollars more and it include blue led so I am looking into that. And do I need 10 lbs of sand??

I do sand in my tanks and I'll probably never go back to gravel. Looks better (opinion) cleans way easier (fact). The debris just sits on top of it and is easy to spot. It's generally a good substrate for plants but as with everything you'll need to fertilize. Sounds like a good setup to me. One question I have though. Your prices you have listed seem pretty low. Is there some kind of sale going on at your LFS?

Playsand is a pain in the rear when trying to plant IMO, especially with rhizome plants. I set up my shrimp tank last month, and easily decided for it to have gravel :lol: My 29 gallon has a playsand substrate and it constantly is kicked around and won't anchor the plants well at all.

It doesn't necessarily clean easier either, as you have to be much more careful. With gravel you just stick the siphon head in to the substrate and it sucks up gunk. With sand IME, you have to get *just* the right level from above the sand so that you suck up the poop and not the sand.

Walmart does offer 10 gallon kits in the store for about 10 more dollars if you wanted to go with something bigger. I saw some of the newer kits with LED hoods as well if you're into that sort of thing.

Well this a desk top tank, so biggest i can do as for space is a 5 gallon. And I'll look into pool filter sand!!

Pool filter sand would work great. And as for substrate, if you only use 5 lb. you'll have a one inch substrate bed which isn't good for root growth.

Walmart does offer 10 gallon kits in the store for about 10 more dollars if you wanted to go with something bigger. I saw some of the newer kits with LED hoods as well if you're into that sort of thing.

The lights on walmart starter kits are about about 3000k, which is way too low if you want to grow plants. I would stay away from them if at all possible.

Good news!!! Sold a Nintendo ds on Craig's list for $125 and now will be probably ordering the tank tomoro going with the $20 one

Yeah, cycle it for as long as you need to. But be aware; every cycle is different. My 29 gallon took 3 months to cycle, and my 5 gallon took about 2 weeks. So, you'll just have to wait it out, however long it takes.......IMO, cycles are one of the least fun parts of the hobby :lol:

And what size heater. Will a preset 50 watt be good?
I would try to stay away from the preset ones if at all possible. They seem to be decently reliable, I have one in my shrimp tank, but if your fish get ich, there is no way of warming up the tank like you need to. I only got a preset one because inverts can't carry ich. In my two tanks that do have fish, though, I have adjustable heaters.

The lights on walmart starter kits are about about 3000k, which is way too low if you want to grow plants. I would stay away from them if at all possible.

I didn't know they were 3000k. The one I bought had an incandescent hood which was more than enough for plants with a couple of 10 or 13 watt 6500k cfl's.

Back
Top Bottom