There is something wrong with my betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_42

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a red crowntail betta. I got him at a local pet-store about two months ago. I got him home and noticed a white thing between his eye and mouth but thought nothing of it. He was in the ten gallon communal tank until last week when I noticed that the spot had swollen into a lump and was a clear-ish white-ish colour. I quarantined him in the only available tank which was a one gallon. Then I got him a five gallon after a few days so he would have some space. Since he was in the one gallon I noticed that his tail had crinkled a bit. I have been using Bettafix for the tail but recently heard that Bettafix doesn't do anything. He was active before being placed in the one gallon and has been active again since moving him into the five gallon but the spot is still there and the beginnings of another spot have started on the other side of his head. I looked it up but could find no information.

*EDIT*
Some additional information:

My tank levels:

Ammonia: idk
pH: 6.5
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate:1
Temp: 75 F

How long has it been set up: Ten gallon: Two months One gallon: (since taken down) five days Five gallon: two days

Filtration: Marineland bio wheel penguin 75 (In one gallon just a bubbler)

Number of Fish: 1 (The betta)

Was set up and cleaned yesterday

Food: Fish flakes and blood worms.

I believe you indicated the Betta is still eating and active, that's a big plus. The problem might be water parameters. You listed your nitrite to be 1. It should be zero. Be sure to research ammonia burn. It can cause white patches. Without pics the problem is difficult to diagnose. So many bugs to choose from that cause white bumps and patches. Just pay special attention to your water quality and see how it goes.

If your nitrite is 1. Than the ammonia level is most likely high. Another thing it could be is hole in the head disease. There's not alot of meds to fix that. It's one disease that alot of fish just live with. There's a few things out there that could help. Might wanta try looking that up. I'd do a few 50% water changes to get that nitrite out of there. Betta fix is overrated. Aquarium salt used with water changes every other day, or everyday is better and works faster than that stuff. Hope this helps.

Update: My nitrate and Nitrite levels are now at 0 and are usually at 0.

Back
Top Bottom