thermometers? Digital or old school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep reading digital thermometers are more accurate. What are some opinions on this? I just bought a Coralife digital thermometer but I am waiting to put it in the new tank. If you like the digital kind what brand do you use?

:thanks:

Ive never used a digital thermometer in a fish tank but i do work in the restaurant business, so i use digital thermometers there to record/measure temperatures of all of our food storage areas. While mercury thermometers give a good reading, and are rarely off by much, it doesnt get much more accurate than digital.

I'd vote for the old school thermometer. Some of the cheaper digital thermometers get really inaccurate when the batteries get low.

I've had them read 15-20 degrees below the tank's actual temp with no other indication that the batteries were low. I usually use a regular thermometer for backup, so I never had a problem...but not hard to see how it could happen.

Hahaha i guess what they sell in the pet stores arent reataurant grade equipment. I just use reg old mercury thermometers in my tanks too. But if i could getnthe kind we use at work tho id feel cimfortable

I rely on old school too. That also allows me to compare what the digital readings on my heaters give as a temp compared to what the thermometer reads. But in big tanks like mine you can and will get different temp readings in different areas of the tank.

I prefer old school but do use both in one tank. The digital is just as accurate so far but only have had it for a yr. didn't pay much for t either, like 10$ I think.

Back
Top Bottom