thermometers that don't suck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I still haven't gotten a thermometer for my new aquarium. I've got a stealth heater and right now I'm just assuming it's maintaining the temp I have it set it.

Everytime I'm looking at fish (there are a lot of places around here with fish), I look at the thermometers, and they're always terrible. Whether it's a $1 thermometer or a $5 thermometer, there is usually at least a 5 degree difference between a single brand of thermometer on a single peg. I was just in a store today, and looking at their more expensive thermometers, one read 68, two read 72, one read 73.

It actually makes me think that those plastic stick-on thermometers might be more accurate than the POS glass ones these places sell. There's just nothing that looks like a quality thermometer. Some of the LFS have $30 digital thermometers that have a clock in them, but I don't have any desire to spend that much (or to have a clock on my aquarium).

Any ideas?

I used to use the same that Lone uses. Then I went to the lfs in our area and found digitals without the probe. The entire thing goes in the tank and suctions onto it. More expensive, but at least I don't have that cord hanging anymore.

Fishyfanatic said:
I used to use the same that Lone uses. Then I went to the lfs in our area and found digitals without the probe. The entire thing goes in the tank and suctions onto it. More expensive, but at least I don't have that cord hanging anymore.

Which store?

I bought a digital thermometer from the kitchen/home store. It's not in the tank all the time, but it's so easy to use - just turn it on and hold in the tank for about 5 seconds - that I usually take a reading every day at feeding time.

I recently switched to one of these from the Coralife digital: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3894&N=2004+113769

I like it better than the small coralife thermometer because this one reads out both in the aquarium temp and air temp. Plus it's got a button for a light - very nice to have after the aquarium lights go out. Plus it uses a AAA battery, not one of those little round batteries.

I can't find the product online and we tossed the packaging already. Are you a local Tostada? I purchased it at Beldt's Aquarium in STL.

I've been tempted by the digitals, but the best of them are only accurate to within 1.5 degrees. That means that the difference between any two readings could be 3 degrees.

I know I'm being picky, but that's too big a deviation for my taste.

I have two of the coralife ones-they seem to work very well and aren't too $$. Need another so I don't have to keep dragging one out of the tank every time I do a water change.

I liked my Coralife one until I dropped it into the tank....not good.

I think I may go with the one dehinrichs suggested. I just have to make myself pay $20 for a thermometer though. The digi-mag ones are cool...but too big. I wouldn't want to keep it in the tank all the time. It would bother me.

So far I've had luck with the cheapo glass ones. When I had my Coralife one, it was always within a degree of the glass one, so I guess they aren't too off.

Back
Top Bottom