These are the bulbs I found in my tank, what does this mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
They say Aqua Rays Fresh and Saltwater F15T-AR-FS 15W.

I have a 55 gallon tank and I'm looking to get into some low maintenance plants. I've had a few for a few years, but they're not really growing. (Not dying either, just kinda there)

Should I get some different bulbs?

Thanks for the input, you guys are great!

Unfortunately it will take more than just simply new bulbs. It would take a new fixture to upgrade your lighting. Bulb wattage is standard for florescent bulbs. You cant get a 30w bulb that will fit a 15w fixture.
15w over a 55gal tank isn't going to grow much of anything. What kind of plants? Can you post a pic?

30-50 watts of light with a color temp of 6500k to 10000k would get you close to being able to grow low light plants successfully.

30-50 watts per side? Or total? I'm gonna look around for a new fixture, maybe I can find a used one somehow... So I'm looking for a 30w fixture?

he meant 30-50w total. you MIGHT be able to get away with getting 2 new bulbs (15w each with spectrum between 6500-10000k) but your plants probably still won't grow (if they do it will be slowly). if you are interested in getting more faster growing plants, you should definitely upgrade your fixture.

a couple options
1--you could find 2 24" incandescent fixtures and fit them with CFL bulbs. that should bring your wattage up to 100w (a 24" incandescent strip can usually hold 2 25w bulbs) this will probably be your easiest & cheapest option.
2--if you want easy and NOT cheap, you can upgrade to T5-HO lighting. it will cost you probably a couple hundred bucks for a 55g, however. BUT, you will be able to grow medium (MAYBE even high) light plants, however, this may warrant a need for CO2 and/or ferts.
3--if you feel electronically inclined or know someone who is, you can retrofit your existing fixtures to hold CFL bulbs. apparently it can be simple, but for someone who is not handy with electrical stuff (like myself) i wouldn't suggest it.

HTH! :D

My husband does electrical work all the time! So I'll ask him to do that for me! I'm sure it would be simple for him... Thank you so much for the info!!!! So CFL is the way to go!!

Back
Top Bottom