They get along!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidbreeder321

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just set up my bew 55 gallon and i have 1 jd 1 jaguar 1 red devil 1 placo 1 apple snail. So far they are all getting along grate but im thinking about adding 1 maybe 2 convicts and 1 oscar and i hope they will get along

You have been given so much advice on stocking that little tank and everyday you post another outlandish question about adding fish that have no place in that living in that small of a tank. Congratulations you'll never have me post another answer to any of your questions.

Reactions: HN1
Ok dont help then because the reason im on this site is because people can help answer questions because trust me if i new everything about fish i would deffenatly wouldent ve on tjus site so gice me a break and HUKIT if u dont want to help then fime there are plenty of people on this sit that will

Your current stocking plan won't work, so definitely don't add to it. If anything, you should look at rehoming or getting a larger tank for the jag and the pleco if it's a common. I've never kept a red devil so I can't comment on it.

None of us mean to sound harsh, but the fish you already have are far to large for a 55g tank. I know those big guys are great but it dangerous for the fishes health to be in a tank that is to small. It not only stunts their growth but there isn't enough O2 in the water for them to breath. So they will all be gasping at the surface for air as they grow. Plus the stunting doesn't just make the fish shorter, it cuts their lives much shorter. So these amazing fish end up living for a couple of years at best and they are miserable years. Surviving is not thriving and we all want our fish to thrive, don't we?
In a 55g tank you can have several very cool regular size (4"-6") Mbunas or cichlids of similar size and a BN size Pleco. Anything larger than that would be cruel to the fish.
If you want to keep the fish you have and add any more, you'll need to get at least a 250-300 gallon tank. That's how over stocked you are.

Ok dont help then because the reason im on this site is because people can help answer questions because trust me if i new everything about fish i would deffenatly wouldent ve on tjus site so gice me a break and HUKIT if u dont want to help then fime there are plenty of people on this sit that will

This was your last response about stocking mbuna and ram's,

"Im still going to put it in my tank so thanks"

Ya but i have learned alot more since then becaise actuallycommented to give advice not smash people like u

Huk gives advice that blunt and to the point, I have never seen him bash anyone. Huk has been a huge help to me and knows his cichlids, anyone would be wise to listen to what he has to say.

Blunt isn't rude or bashing, it's just blunt, no bull. But some people need their criticism served with sugar, or they can't tolerate it.
Hukit and I may have differing opinions on some things but he's never been rude or bashed me for our differences.

Blunt isn't rude or bashing, it's just blunt, no bull. But some people need their criticism served with sugar, or they can't tolerate it.
Hukit and I may have differing opinions on some things but he's never been rude or bashed me for our differences.

Thank you, and I completly agree. Lately it seems that everyone who comes to a public forum on the Internet to ask questions gets upset when someone gives them any sort of constructive criticism. I come on here to help people with one of my passions, when someone asks a question they get an answer.

Last edited:
Thank you, and I completely agree. Lately it seems that everyone who comes to a public forum on the Internet to ask questions gets upset when someone gives them any sort of constructive criticism. I come on here to help people with one of my passions, when someone asks a question they get an answer.

You can only help someone that's open to help, Some people just want their ideas confirmed, a yes that's exactly what you should do, not what they should do instead

I agree with that writing (great read)
And i also think Hukit is one of the most competent people on here on the subject of cichlids. And he is very direct, but Hukit can you please cahnge your picture :) Lol jks :D

Babies grow to adults, pups grow to dogs, foals grow to horses...... Etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic posts have been deleted. Please keep this thread on topic.

I just set up my bew 55 gallon and i have 1 jd 1 jaguar 1 red devil 1 placo 1 apple snail. So far they are all getting along grate but im thinking about adding 1 maybe 2 convicts and 1 oscar and i hope they will get along

"Getting along" for a few days or weeks does not in any way imply that you will have long term success. As others have advised several times, your fish will likely be ok as juveniles... but when they hit sexual maturity it's going to be a bloodbath in there. Adding more fish to the mix is only going to complicate things and will likely hasten the demise of several of the fish. Please, consider rehoming the jag and red devil at a minimum. The pleco also has no business in a 55. The JD is a good choice for a 55, and you could add the convict you want (not a pair, too aggressive and not a lot of space) and another fish of similar size and temperament IMO. Oscars should not be kept in a 55 IMO; nor should any other fish that has the potential to get longer than the width of the tank.

I get that you aren't getting the answers you want and it's frustrating. But everyone is trying to help out here and the answers aren't going to change no matter how often you ask the questions.

Last edited:
Off topic posts have been deleted. Please keep this thread on topic.

"Getting along" for a few days or weeks does not in any way imply that you will have long term success. As others have advised several times, your fish will likely be OK as juveniles... but when they hit sexual maturity it's going to be a bloodbath in there. Adding more fish to the mix is only going to complicate things and will likely hasten the demise of several of the fish. Please, consider re-homing the jag and red devil at a minimum. The pleco also has no business in a 55. The JD is a good choice for a 55, and you could add the convict you want (not a pair, too aggressive and not a lot of space) and another fish of similar size and temperament IMO. Oscars should not be kept in a 55 IMO; nor should any other fish that has the potential to get longer than the width of the tank.

I get that you aren't getting the answers you want and it's frustrating. But everyone is trying to help out here and the answers aren't going to change no matter how often you ask the questions.

:agree:Severum mama is one of the most knowledgeable people you'll find on AA. If you won't listen to anyone else PLEASE listen to her. She is only telling you what is in the best interest of the fish and you too, in the long run.

I'm only guessing but, I think that if you walked in and turned on the tank light a year, or even less, from now and found every fish either dead or dying, you'd be devastated. That is all we are trying to help you avoid.

Back
Top Bottom