Thingies on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I tried multiple web pages that would tell me what kind of critters are living on my glass, but I just can't find any answers

The flat round thing came with my mushrooms, and the white rice grain things are usually only on the glass... But it's hard to tell cuz they r so tiny.

Are they bad or good? What are they called, and what do they do? LOL

THX for the help!!!

Attachments

• image-3896884398.jpg
    image-3896884398.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 327
Thx!!! I was hoping for pods :) want a mandarin fish so badly... But I know I need a bigger tank first :-/

What about the round thingy that came with my mushrooms? It's pretty quick, flat, and round.
First it was sitting only on the mushrooms, but now it's on the glass.

THX for the help

Here is another picture of the round thingy with my boyfriends finger on it XD
Pls help, really want to know so I can read up on it. THX

Attachments

• image-1403439357.jpg
    image-1403439357.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 301
And another picture :)

THX!!

Attachments

• image-189333324.jpg
    image-189333324.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 283
these are all signs of a new tank. the little bugs on the glass are isopods. they will disappear eventually. these aren't the food for mandarins. the bottom pic is a flatworm. this too will disappear shortly.

well, it really isn't a "new" tank, but not an old tank either LOL
Got it for >3 years now but I had to move 2 times with it, so it got re-cycled more than once :rolleyes:
50% of the LR is from back when I started 3 yrs ago

the "flatworm" wasnt there until I just recently added the mushrooms
Never had it in all those years until now, thats why i'm so suprised.

I hope you are right about it's disappearance... more research showed that it may be a pest... but they also described it as red-ish while mine is more white-ish
Guess I will just keep an eye on it for now and see what it develops into. Dont wanna start dumping Flatworm Exit into my tank

THANK YOU for your help

Just suck those flatworms out with your siphon during water changes. I wouldn't just leave them in there when you spot them. Depending on tank conditions, they can become a problem in short order. But they can be beat without chemicals. I had some hitchhike in on a torch coral once. Took me a few months of siphoning, but eventually rid myself of them.

Just suck those flatworms out with your siphon during water changes. I wouldn't just leave them in there when you spot them. Depending on tank conditions, they can become a problem in short order. But they can be beat without chemicals. I had some hitchhike in on a torch coral once. Took me a few months of siphoning, but eventually rid myself of them.

thx Kurt, guess that sounds like the best idea
water conditions are A+ according to my LFS, and I like to keep it like that. I learned the hard way that once you mess around with chemicals it can easily get everything out of balance ( one thing leads to another etc :crazyeyes: ).
Guess I'll pick em up whenever I spot em

if someone wants some free flatworms, PM me :dope:

the white flatworms are not a problem at all. it's the red ones that reproduce and become a nuisance.

mr_X said:
the white flatworms are not a problem at all. it's the red ones that reproduce and become a nuisance.

Well, I'm starting to see more and more LOL
And they really are a pain to "pick up" LOL
Well, I'll just do what I can to keep em in check without reaching to more drastic measures. Let's hope they really are "safe". Don't really mind em in there, just don't want hundreds of em either

i have seen the white ones over and over in new tanks (or tanks that seem new due to spikes/moves) and they only last a few weeks and disappear as fast as they came.
if in fact they aren't common red planaria, you have nothing to worry about.
even red planaria come and go in the same manner, but they do reproduce a lot faster and tend to perch on corals in an attempt to get closer to the light, which stresses corals, and shields them from the light.

mr_X said:
i have seen the white ones over and over in new tanks (or tanks that seem new due to spikes/moves) and they only last a few weeks and disappear as fast as they came.
if in fact they aren't common red planaria, you have nothing to worry about.
even red planaria come and go in the same manner, but they do reproduce a lot faster and tend to perch on corals in an attempt to get closer to the light, which stresses corals, and shields them from the light.

Thx :D so far I always got lucky with hitchhikers, so I'm freaking out every time I see something new, cuz I'm worried that a bad one is overdue >.<
It's weird how after so much time there is still so much to discover! One if the things I love about Aquariums

You shouldn't need a bigger tank for a mandarin. I had a 29 gallon when I got mine. Now, he is in a 70 gallon. They are amazing fish to watch, though. I have had one in my tank for a couple of years or so, and he has gotten used to eating the mysis and brine shrimp that we feed our other fish, so he isn't entirely dependent on pods, although he keeps the population of them down to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom