Thinking about a saltwater tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for all your help!! Feather dusters sound cool as well. :)

Now is the time for me to get some money! lol. Excited to get this part of my project in action. :) Do I need a certain amount of time for my tank to mature before any corals are added? I don't believe it to be anytime soon anyways, but just in case. Currently the tank is only about a month old I think.

You could add a few. I started my tank in August. I had coral in there by the end of September. I got zoas and a candy cane.

Okay, just wanted to make sure it wasn't too soon. I appreciate all the help!

That must be so exciting! I love new tanks! It's a shame I'm currently out of room to add anymore lol. I haven't decided on my first coral yet... I have a list of all the ones I am interested in.. but I'll have to see which are available at my LFS before I know which I'll get. Also depends on their prices as well.

Do I have to have a powerhead to mix my salt? Or can I stir it really well, and let is dissolve for 24 hours with stirrings often? Because I don't have money for another circulation pump.

Also, I heard hermits will eat feather dusters. Is this true? I have three hermits, and I was planning on getting some feater dusters and I don't want them to turn into an expensive snack!

okapizebra said:
Do I have to have a powerhead to mix my salt? Or can I stir it really well, and let is dissolve for 24 hours with stirrings often? Because I don't have money for another circulation pump.

Also, I heard hermits will eat feather dusters. Is this true? I have three hermits, and I was planning on getting some feater dusters and I don't want them to turn into an expensive snack!

You don't have to have a circulation pump for salt mixing.

I have heard some hermits will eat them. I have dwarf blue legs and red legs and they leave my dusters alone.

I have about 6-8 hermits some of the blue legged ones are pretty big and I have a bunch of feather dusters from really small to a 4" crown and they are all fine...

Okapizebra, you had asked earlier about an anemone. Since you will be moving frequently and the light you bought is not all that intense, do not not get one. They need very stable conditions and bright lighting to thrive, plus if it goes wandering it may sting and kill corals. I think your tank will look very nice with mushrooms, zoanthids, palythoas, and xenia myself.

Good to hear I don't need a pump.

My hermits are all blue-legs and tiny currently. I guess I'll just have to find out and see if they will bother them or not! I was reading a thread earlier where more than one person stated their hermits were eating their feather dusters. Glad to hear some don't as well. Do feather dusters need lighting?

I will not be getting an anemone then. I will definitely take your suggestions! Those are all cool looking!

I appreciate all the responses :)

Featherdusters are filter feeders, and don't care at all about lighting. (Well, other than if a shadow goes over them, they close.)

Okay, cool, thanks! My light was shipped however it is in California according to the tracking so I don't expect it to be here anytime soon lol. I believe my LFS sells feather dusters for 7 dollars so I may end up picking up one sometime.

Back
Top Bottom