Thinking about a saltwater tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's today's test results:

Specific Gravity: 1.025 (how'd it go down??)
Ammonia: couldn't tell exactly, but it was definitely over 2ppm... don't think it was as dark as the 8ppm though
Trites: 0ppm
Trates: 10ppm

But is it necessary for me? I would rather save 30 dollars.. but if it is going to benefit me largely then I will invest in one.

Do you have any PH? If not, I would definitely recommend getting one. You don't want areas of low flow, cuz that is where you'll end up getting cyano. I have 3 PH in my 55g, prevents detritus from gathering.

I was thinking in this small of a tank it might not be needed and the AC 20 does have pretty good flow.

You can always test the flow by dropping in some flakes and see if they collect in any particular place. If there's no dead spots, then you should be good.

Is it okay if I try it with freshwater flakes? The only marine food i've bought so far are pellets.

Just to be safe I think i'll get one. It can't hurt, right? I got some extra money that I can use for one. I've been away this weekend so no progress on the tank. I'll test levels again today to see how the cycle is going. Hopefully this week my LFS will get in some dry rock that I can add to the tank. Is there anything else I need while i'm making an order online? I'm going to get the koralia evolution 240 and some marine flakes and more filter media for my AC.

Sorry, on amazon it is called Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Aquarium Circulation pump.

okapizebra said:
Another question: Would a firefish and a purple firefish be compatible?

From what I've read, Firefish don't get along unless their a mated pair. 2 different types won't pair, I don't think.

So they wouldn't be compatible, then? Even though they look different, they still would not get along?

I had this same exact question and some say 3 can get along or one dominates, but doesn't kill the other one. They have the same body shape so I wouldn't take the risk. Plus their aggression would come out even more towards each other b/c of the small tank size.

Okay, I won't go with two then. I'll just stick to my original stocking plan. Thanks!

Do I add my cleaner shrimp with the snails and hermits? Or do I wait until after fish? I don't want him to starve, nor be killed by any fluctuating levels when I add in my fish.

Do I add my cleaner shrimp with the snails and hermits? Or do I wait until after fish? I don't want him to starve, nor be killed by any fluctuating levels when I add in my fish.

You can add the cleaner after the tank is fully cycled. You should only add 1 fish at a time, so your water parameters shouldn't fluctuate a lot if you let the tank fully cycle. Inverts are more sensitive than fish though, so wait till the tank is cycled.

Back
Top Bottom