Thinking about a saltwater tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah it should be fine, but IMO it doesn't look like natural reef rock. Your LFS never got the base rock in?

In a small tank this stuff would be fine. In 6 months it will color up and look like every other rock in the tank. Actual quarried base rock or even some live rock shouldn't cost thAt much for a small reef.

No, they never did, and to be honest I'm not too happy with my LFS at the moment. Every time I go there they never have what I want. I keep going back and asking them when their shipment of base rock will be in, and every time I go it's at a later date. "Oh, it'll be here by the end of this week" I go back, and then someone tells me not until the beginning of next week. That was last week, and someone then told me it'll be here in 2 to 3 weeks...

I've read online it will color up as well, like Gregcoyote said. I would be buying more live/base rock but my LFS has none. I bought some of the last few scraps of the live, and the stuff at petco just looks plain gross.

I have that rock plus reef crystals in my shopping cart at petco. Now I just need to get a bit more money so I can order it, lol. This is certainly a hobby that drains the wallet! Thanks for the help. :)

Throwing money at the hobby doesn't work, so building your system up slowly does save wear on the wallet but even more important it builds patience, which you will find is going to be needed. BRS sells base rock and UPS will deliver it to your door when you are ready.

I'm definitely not just spending money for the heck of it, lol. What is BRS?

Sorry to hear about the LFS situation. BRS rock is awesome, but massive b/c it's so porous. You always ask for very small pieces or maybe even get some rubble rock. I didn't recommend it b/c the $10 shipping for probably $10 of rock.

Yeah, I think i'll pass on that. I think it'll be less expensive if I just keep waiting for my LFS to get some in. I know they will get it eventually. For now I think i'll try out that rock from petco. I've read some good things about tufa rock online. I'll slowly add to the amount of rock in my tank.

Now to just get some more money so I can place my order lol

Will do! Although I only ordered one rock, actually lol. I specifically wanted the rock from petco because it had the little hole through it. No idea where I'm going to put it, everyday I change my mind of where a good place would be...

Took a trip to petsmart today, and got a small bag of dry rock!! Couldn't believe they had some there, and not my LFS... My rock from petco should be here tomorrow. Looks like tomorrow is an aquascaping kind of day.

Would a clownfish be suitable for my tank? Is it a possibility that I could get a clownfish instead of the yellow clown goby I was planning on? I am doubtful, I thought they needed larger tanks and are messy, but I've seen lots of people keep them in 10 gallons, and they are under the nano section of live aquaria. I assume my bioload would be too large with a firefish, neon blue goby, and a clownfish. Is this true?

I you do a clown, I would only do 1 clown and 1 other small fish on your list for a 10g.

Would a clownfish be suitable for my tank? Is it a possibility that I could get a clownfish instead of the yellow clown goby I was planning on? I am doubtful, I thought they needed larger tanks and are messy, but I've seen lots of people keep them in 10 gallons, and they are under the nano section of live aquaria. I assume my bioload would be too large with a firefish, neon blue goby, and a clownfish. Is this true?

I wouldn't do the clown yet. If you enjoy the hobby, you'll most likely eventually get a larger tank. Hows the neon goby doing?

Back
Top Bottom