Thinking about DIY co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been playing around with DIY co2. This is my second try at it. I am getting a about 3 bubbles a second and I get bubbles in a cup of water but not in the tank is this the pressure in the tank issue or am I doing something wrong?

What is your diffusion method? Are you using the same length tubing and diffusion method in the tank that you were in the cup (same setup in both)? How much time are you giving it from time of mixture to producing bubbles?

ATM I am just using an airstone I have a powerhead on the way but it won't be here until next week. I am finally getting some bubbles in the tank but they are to big are going straight to the top now. If I push the stone down with the suction cup the bubble are actually getting bigger. I will try to get a video uploaded to youtube but I have never done it before so it might take a bit.

Well you got it to work, that's the important part. I use ceramic disk diffusers in my DIY setups... But the powerhead would be more efficient.

Well the upload was a total failure but here is a still. I have it running right underneath the overflow on one of my HOBs I think I managed to get it going using more yeast this time so hopefully I can really get the plants going and still have my lights on all day without having a massive algae bloom until my plants have enough time to really get going. My tank is right next to my desk and I just love to look at it all day.

If you click the link I did manage to upload it to photobucket

What are the details on the tank, lights, plants, etc?

Are you going to be using a drop checker to get an indication if you're getting enough co2 to dissolve in the water? You should dose excel meanwhile until you get things working optimally. Also don't run the lights too long if you're already seeing algae.

37g, I am dosing exel at 1ml per 5g lights are 4 24w t5ho 6500k bulbs. I cut the light back to 4 hours a day with full light and 1 hour on either end with only 2 bulbs running and 2 hours of moonlights. I'm not sure how to set it up to check the dissolution of the co2. I saw how to do it on high tech but if it could afford to do that we wouldn't be having this conversation! lol!

Well high tech would be pressurized co2, and 'going all out' would be with a pH controller. The less expensive way is with a drop checker. I like the cheap all glass ones on eBay. You should order it with 4dkh reference solution and the pH reagent. It's fairly inexpensive and easy to use. But TBH, I'm glad you have such a short photoperiod because that's a lot of light without running pressurized co2. I personally reserve DIY CO2 for tanks <20g's. But I suppose DIY + excel is better than no co2. Just keep that excel (or glut) dose high.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom