Thinking about getting a Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldensunflowers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm starting a 20 gallon tank, going throught the process of fishless cycling right now, and doing some research on fish to get once my tank is cycled. The tank is in my living room/main living space, tucked in an alcove in the wall. A few things I've seen about dwarf gouramis is that they aren't supposed to be in tanks in loud areas. We have people over routinely, with a bunch of kids, and also a 1 1/2 year of our own that runs around downstairs, so the place where the tank is isn't exactly quiet. Have any of you had a dwarf gourami? What do you think about them having to be in quiet areas of the house? Would a pair of them (along with some other peaceful community fish) be okay in my tank?

It depends. What are the tankmates? IME gouramis are the most peaceful fish I have ever seen besides my tetras. I've had two male honey DGs that didn't fight that I kept for two years before one was a victim of really bad bloat and have kept a trio of one male to two females fine that were highly active. That said the tank was big, thirty gallons. If you want to get a pair make sure that there are no other swimmers in the top area of the tank because if they spawn they'll get highly aggressive, the male especially.

I've never had problems with gouramis and loud noises. Lots of my cousins want to see my fish tank and they are super noisy. My mom also vaccuums my room once a month and they seem fine. It seems that the more sensitive species of gouramis (ex. chosla lalia) seem to be the ones more sensitive to loud noises. My honeys were a great edition the aquarium and I would highly reccomend them.

I've never noticed my gourmis having trouble with noise. My wife actually did next to them while getting constant phone calls (works at home).

Many will tell you that you can only have one male (which is generally what you'll find in stores) but I gave trip in a twenty and while they occasionally chase each other, they also sometimes swim together like buddies. Depends on personality

i have a 45 gal. tank that's 53" long. i have 7 male dwarf gourami's and 2 female blue rams and assorted community fish. all the gourami's get along. no fighting at all. that's my experience.

I have 2 dwarfs, love em. At first they were pretty aggressive but now that they settled in they chase each other a little but not bad at all. And when they do chase each other they dont hurt each other, they more just bump into each other instead of nipping fins or anything. I recommend them, very cool fish

I would just do one dwaf gourami, so he can be the center of attention. I can vouch for their skittishness when there are noises. If you came stomping up to my tank, he would freak and hide behind the heater. However, he is extremely cool when he is relaxed. They are great center piece fish and are very passive.

Get a sponge filter and you'll get to watch him build a bubble nest. If there's any moderate water flow from a normal filter it'll stop him from being able to construct a nest.

I have a 30 long in the living room with a dwarf gourami, 2 GGRs, 3 serpaes, 5 bloodfins, 5 ottos, 4 ghoat shrimps, fairly planted, 2 driftwoods and a tree root from petsmart. Mind you the living room is the loudest room in the house with the tv on 2 kids running around and a dog running after them barking and you look at the tank he just looks nonchalant.

HairlessPotter said:
They make nests? I didn't even know that

The males do. They are fair closely related to betas, but betas don't use leaves. Its funny. Ours will steal the very few leaves they get off the fern from each others nests

HairlessPotter said:
That's way cool! I have one but don't have any live plants. How could I get it to make a nest?

No idea.,i think its just something they do at certain times when they are old enough and happy. Mine do it like once a month

This is a good thread. I hadn't thought about DGs at all but they might work in my 55 (with 6 julli cories, 12 neons, 6 male fancy guppies)

jen31972 said:
This is a good thread. I hadn't thought about DGs at all but they might work in my 55 (with 6 julli cories, 12 neons, 6 male fancy guppies)

The goes might annoy them, but to be honest dgs are pretty mellow so you really might be ok. Mine share a tank with some white clouds and khuli loaches. Never bother anyone and vice versa. Course I love white clouds too

Back
Top Bottom