Thinking about getting back into it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PinktailTrigger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, all! :flowers:

I'm new around here and hoping to get some help deciding where to go with my next tank. I have none at present. I have been in & out of the hobby over the last ~25 years. Started with a 20-gal tropical tank with stock like black mollies and red wags waaaay back in the day (when I knew nothing but what LFS people told me) and culminating in a 180-gal saltwater tank several years ago, which I had to dismantle due to a move overseas. There have been lots of other tanks in between, from goldfish to oscars to another marine setup while I lived abroad.

Life is stable now. My kid is old enough that I have more personal time. I have the means and the space for another tank. But I am REALLY struggling with where I want to go with it. There are so many great options.

Probably the biggest driver is that I don't want to get too complicated. For example, when I had my 180, I had a basement sump system... I don't know that I have all that in me this time around. (Although it does make life cleaner and easier in the long run).

For the same reason (lower complexity), I am leaning toward freshwater... though not totally committed there... I do keep thinking about a pair of clowns with an anemone... and I always wanted a clam, too... although both anemones and clams require pretty pristine water and I'm not sure I want to be quite that OCD. Or a seahorse tank would be neat; my daughter would love that.

On the freshwater side, harkening way back to my youth, I have always wanted a cichlid tank. Maybe this is the time. But then, there are so many neat inverts I couldn't keep.

Or cold water... That might be the easiest option. I haven't really done that, except for goldfish briefly, and paradise fish are beautiful.

One other thing I've never done is a planted tank. I love how they look, but I am not sure that would be a good idea for me - I do NOT have a green thumb. But then again, at least aquatic plants don't need to be watered? ;)

Like I said, I'm all over the place! What I do know is the following:
1) I have the perfect spot for a 48" tank, so can do up to ~120 gal.
2) I don't want to commit to anything too demanding. Hardy, lower maintenance livestock are preferred over anything too finicky. I have a busy life, plus I like to travel.
3) I get stressed by tanks that look messy... (Say, a plant that is dropping leaves, yellowing... or dirty sand, etc). I know that is largely within my control in terms of maintenance, but I also know certain kinds of tanks are easier to keep clean than others.
4) I want colorful and/or interesting and/or active fish; so even if I were to dare go planted (doubtful), the fish should still be the stars.

I know it is all a matter of personal preference, but seriously, suggestions are MORE than welcome. Decisions, decisions!

I have some similarities as you with wanting something simple and low maintenance, but I'm an absolute newb.

After a lot of research, I decided fresh was the way to go. I also went tropical since I live in Texas and it'll be the easiest temperature wise. I also wanted a planted tank.

For plants, I'm going with either monte carlo or dwarf hairgrass as a carpet. Possibly both, we'll see. Then anubias nana/petite, java moss, then a couple floaters. Dwarf lettuce and frogbit. These are all pretty low maintenance plants that don't take super expensive lighting or CO2.

For fish, I'm going for Endler's, peppered cories and shrimp. Like you, I may sometimes be away from home for a few days. These are all species that do just fine browsing the tank for a little while. Endler's, apparently, do quite well with one day a week not being fed anyway.

I love the idea of a reef or tidal tank, but I just can't put in the maintenance or expense.

Perhaps you can start off with something quite simple and streamlined and see what you're willing to take on beyond that? You can always go for a salt water tank later on, but it's more of a hassle to "undo" that decision.

Back
Top Bottom