Thinking about having live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jfilk

Aquarium Advice Regular
So this may seem like a dumb question but I'm new to live plants. What kind of substrate do you use to have plants? Do you need like peat moss or something to have them grow good? Any tips or advice welcome.

So this may seem like a dumb question but I'm new to live plants. What kind of substrate do you use to have plants? Do you need like peat moss or something to have them grow good? Any tips or advice welcome.

Fluorite or Eco complete. What kind of plants are you thinking? If your going low tech with like anubias or javas whose roots are exposed then you don't need a substrate.

Fluorite or Eco complete. What kind of plants are you thinking? If your going low tech with like anubias or javas whose roots are exposed then you don't need a substrate.

Well I just wanted some plants that'll keep the tanks clean and provide shelter for smaller fish. And thanks for the advice I might try those plants out

Well I just wanted some plants that'll keep the tanks clean and provide shelter for smaller fish. And thanks for the advice I might try those plants out

You won't really notice a Difference with a few plants. They do certainly attribute to the cleanliness of the water but not on a great scale. You really need to PLANT your aquarium to notice a difference. But a couple certainly wouldn't hurt.

Alright then I just want some that will provide shade and lots of cover for fry that I may have and plants use fish waste to keep growing correct? And they give off oxygen to the tank? I know these questions seem stupid but I'm new to plants again

Alright then I just want some that will provide shade and lots of cover for fry that I may have and plants use fish waste to keep growing correct? And they give off oxygen to the tank? I know these questions seem stupid but I'm new to plants again

Yes, fish waste is used by the plants and they give off oxygen. This really only applies to the plants I mentioned. If your looking for plants that will provide exceptional cover for your fry, I would look for plants that tend to grow bushy. Driftwood is also good for fry to hide in the nooks and crannys. I'm not very knowledgable with the various species so I'm sure some others will chime in.

Yes, fish waste is used by the plants and they give off oxygen. This really only applies to the plants I mentioned. If your looking for plants that will provide exceptional cover for your fry, I would look for plants that tend to grow bushy. Driftwood is also good for fry to hide in the nooks and crannys. I'm not very knowledgable with the various species so I'm sure some others will chime in.

Ok well thanks for the info and ill prolly go for the plants you recommended for oxygen an cleaning thank you and hopefully others do chime in

Fast growing plants (stem or floating) such as brazilian pennywort, water sprite and wisteria tend to "soak up" nitrates the fastest rather than more slow growing plants such as anubias and java fern. I personally love wisteria. It's super easy to take care of and it's very easy to propagate and make more! It also grows very fast. I also love amazon swords (also easy to care for) as they provide a ton of cover with their big leaves. They also grow pretty fast in my experience. Hopefully this helps!

Fast growing plants (stem or floating) such as brazilian pennywort, water sprite and wisteria tend to "soak up" nitrates the fastest rather than more slow growing plants such as anubias and java fern. I personally love wisteria. It's super easy to take care of and it's very easy to propagate and make more! It also grows very fast. I also love amazon swords (also easy to care for) as they provide a ton of cover with their big leaves. They also grow pretty fast in my experience. Hopefully this helps!

Thanks for the tip and ill look into them

You lighting will determine the type of plants you'll be able to grow. What type lighting and bulbs do you have currently in your tank? Once this is know then proper plants can be suggested.

Also unless you have large grained gravel it will support plant growth for any plants that need to be put in the substrate. Lighting will be your limiting factor.

You lighting will determine the type of plants you'll be able to grow. What type lighting and bulbs do you have currently in your tank? Once this is know then proper plants can be suggested.

Also unless you have large grained gravel it will support plant growth for any plants that need to be put in the substrate. Lighting will be your limiting factor.

I can post a picture of my gravel and I'm not sure on the light... I got it for free along with a tank

You can post a picture of both if you want. Is the light a long fluorescent tube or something else? What watt bulb is it, the watts should be on the bulb.

You can post a picture of both if you want. Is the light a long fluorescent tube or something else? What watt bulb is it, the watts should be on the bulb.

It's a fluorescent 15 watt bulb and my gravel is in the picture

Attachments

• image-3798707055.jpg
    image-3798707055.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 29
Don't know the size of the tank but regardless that is going to be very low light. I would get some Crypt Wendtii's for the substrate and "maybe" wisteria or water sprite will be able to grow also. The size of the gravel is rather large so you want to stay away from most stem plants as they won't do well in the tank. I've never messed with Pennywort in a tank but it might do okay since it will head towards the surface and the light away. The Crypt won't do a lot for soaking in a lot of water nutrients but it will use some mulm/detris from the substrate as it is a root feeder.

Don't know the size of the tank but regardless that is going to be very low light. I would get some Crypt Wendtii's for the substrate and "maybe" wisteria or water sprite will be able to grow also. The size of the gravel is rather large so you want to stay away from most stem plants as they won't do well in the tank. I've never messed with Pennywort in a tank but it might do okay since it will head towards the surface and the light away. The Crypt won't do a lot for soaking in a lot of water nutrients but it will use some mulm/detris from the substrate as it is a root feeder.

Ok then thanks for the info and I might try them

Back
Top Bottom