Thinking about making a seahorse tank -- advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makoa59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife loves seahorses and after a trip to the aquarium she said she'd be open to allowing me to make a (small) tank for seahorses. I currently have a 90 gallon FW community and this would be my first venture into SW. I am thinking of starting a moderate-sized (one of those new contemporary desk-top) or nano tank. I have a 5 gallon that I use for quarantine purposes, but I am fine with buying another tank.

Where do I start?
What size/type of tank is ideal for seahorses?
Type of filter? I may not have the space for a refugium (is it absolutely necessary?)
Is a skimmer necessary?
I know they like a bit of a current, so power head?
I assume marine sand as substrate... Live plants/fan coral or fake flora? Any other hard scape? Use some live rock or just sand and string-like plants to hold on to?
Water parameters?
What kind of food?
Can they be kept with cleaner shrimp or other invertebrates?

Thanks!

If you've never done a marine tank, I wouldn't start with sea horses. They are very difficult and require special setups. If your going to try best advice I can give you is do a TON of research.

If you've never done a marine tank, I wouldn't start with sea horses. They are very difficult and require special setups. If your going to try best advice I can give you is do a TON of research.

X2!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know that they are difficult to maintain and I am starting the research. With all things in aquaria, patience is the key. I'm not starting this anytime soon... Just looking for tips.

In my opinion the right way to do a seahorse oriented tank is too do a normal FOWLR or reef setup for the first year or two, by then the tank will be seasoned and established enough to transition it over to a seahorse focused tank.

They need a well established set-up with pristine water conditions, and very docile tank mates, if any.
Dwarf seahorses are small enough for a nano tank and are not cost prohibitive, but only live about two years max.
Larger seahorses can be had, but be prepared to pay a handsome price for them, well over $100, but they grow to a pretty good size and have a longer life span.

Seahorses are just about one of the trickiest critters to master keeping, octopi are about the only thing I can think of more difficult that are regularly available for home aquaria, that and jellyfish.

I forgot to also mention the set-up you will need to have going in order to raise live brine shrimp, rotifers, copepods, amphipods and similar live foods in order to keep them in top health.

I did know someone who fed their huge seahorses black molly fry.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom