thinking about putting in a plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7SE7EN7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank with one fish and i would like to add a plant. Just a small one, nothing fancy. Any advice like what I need for the plant and what type of plant is a good starting one? Also would a plant change any levels like ph or anything? Thanks

There are tons of options, anubias nana is a good choice for beginners, or java fern. The plant will use some nitrates which is a good thing. What lighting do you have for your tank. And what kind of fish is it?

I just have two 25w aquarium light bulbs for light now. I know I need something different for a plant but what should I get? The fish is a pumpkinseed sunfish, I have had it for a little over a year.

The wattage will be fine for one low light plant.
Are they incandescent or flourescent? How big is your fish? I am not really familiar with that particular fish but I was under the impression they get to be fairly large.

The bulbs are incandescent. My fish is pretty small for the size they can get to and I have had him for a year. I thought he would have grown but he is still about the same size (about 4 inches long)

IMO, I would purchase two CF screw-in's to replace those incandescent's. The wattage depends on what you want. Two 10 or 15 watt bulbs would be nice for a low lighted tank that doesn't need much attention. Incandescent bulbs are NOT for growing plants, they are for heating up the water as far as I can tell. :D

I only plan on having one plant so do i need any CO2 stuff or anything other than the right bulbs?

I only plan on having one plant so do i need any CO2 stuff or anything other than the right bulbs?

Nope, you don't need a Carbon source if you are only going to run a low light tank as long as you choose the correct plants. IE low light plants.

If you are only going to add one plant (which I doubt will last very long. It will hook you faster then you think!), then staying around 20 watts total (two 10 watt bulbs), should fair well for you.

FYI, adding a Carbon source to any tank (low/medium/high light), will improve the growth and health of the plant. Dosing Flourish Excel would do great in that tank and the bottle would last for quite some time.

I agree, you should replace the incandescents with CF bulbs. Make sure however you get the daylight ones (6700k) or it will be useless. The common household bulb will not work. Two of these over a 10 gallon may actually be too high though, giving you 30 watts you would be right on the edge of moderate and high.

Would it be better to use one 15 watt cf bulb and one incandescent or should I put two 15 watt cf bulbs in? Would the plant be better with 30 or 15 watts?

Try 2 and if you start getting a lot of algae or your plant exhibits problems like brown spots or turning yellow then cut back (this is all caused by nutrient imbalance, which higher light saps out and you would have to dose ferts to maintain it). A good low to medium light plant will work with 15 or 30, but if the plant isn't using all the available nutrients, algae will take hold.

get two, it will still be a low light tank. the WPG rule really doesnt apply to small tanks like 10 Gs. I have 30 watts Screw-In Floros over my 10 Gallon. I dont add any ferts or carbon and have very little algae.

Back
Top Bottom