Thinking about replacing my PBT with a...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patroklos

Aquarium Advice Freak
...Blue Jaw Trigger. From other sites and online vendors it seems like it is reef safe with maybe a little trouble with shrimp. Anyone have any experiace with this fish.

I had originally meant to replace the PBT with a Kole, whith both being in the tank now. As soon as the PBT gets to big I have an arrangement for a new home. But my Kole is so small and shy I want to add another similar sized fish.

So if not the Blue Jaw Trigger, any other suggestions?

Are you talking about a Blue Throat Triggerfish? From what I have seen, they are pretty shy. I'm not sure on the same body shape, but they are kinda similar (thin and have somewhat similar fin configurations).
I do believe they may clean out your clean up crew.
Are you looking for a specific color in your tank?

Yeah, Blue Throat Triggerfish is the same one, I have seen it called both names. All the online vendors describe them as reef safe with caution, primarily because of shimp issues. I was reading a thread over at Reef Central where owners said they hadn't had any problems, but I wondered what you guys here thought.

I am not really looking for any particular color, but rather something different. Most of my other fish have the same basic shape, triggers definelty have a unique look. Something that screams saltwater.

IMHO...anything labled as "use caution" for a reef application should not be used at all. Individual fish preferences vary so much from animal to animal that I would not risk the well-being of my corals or mobile inverts on anything less then "reef Safe".

Well, it just so happens I go to the LFS today and what do I see? A BLUE THROAT TRIGGER!

While it is a very interesting fish I have decided to take your advice and pass. I will find something else to fill the gap as my centerpiece fish. Any suggestions?

To hold me over today I picked up two Talbot Damsels! For those of you who remember I had a set stocking list a full month before even getting the tank, and with that purchase I know have it completed. Unfortunetly my first yellow watchman goby died (not sure what happened, went into his cave one day and never came back out), but I'll try again later. My only diviation was the PBT instead of the Chevron Tang and the extra Kole. I consdier that restraint in this hobby!

I'm sure you are aware, but that PBT will get way too big and be way to aggressive for a tank your size. IMO, a 4' tank is barely big enough for 1 tang, and that depends on the species, let alone 2 as shown in your sig. And your tank is only 3' long?

I'm sure you are aware, but that PBT will get way too big and be way to aggressive for a tank your size. IMO, a 4' tank is barely big enough for 1 tang, and that depends on the species, let alone 2 as shown in your sig. And your tank is only 3' long?

Hense the name of the thread, "Thinking about replacing my PBT with a... " ;)

You guys keep saying that about the PBT and aggression, but to tell the truth he is quite docile (once I did the mirror trick) and in magnificent health, the reason I am planning on trading him for another fish is solely for size of the tank. He is four inches now and I can see how in the future he will outgrow the tank (it is 3'). He already has a new home on standby.

So, what should I replace him with?

Back
Top Bottom