Thinking ahead for my 20 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coyote1066

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm cycling my first tank but I've already got fish fever. :wink: I'm being good and not buying any new fish at this time but I can't help think about the future. Here's what I have so far:

1 B. Kubotai loach
4 Mickey Mouse platies
1 Unknown platy

First on my list is to get another loach for company and maybe another "unknown" platy to balance things out. That brings me to:

2 B. Kubotai loaches
4 Mickey Mouse platies
2 Unknown platies

About 18" of fish I reckon. Am I done or can I squeeze in some small schooling fish without going into overload?

I have an "overkill" filter than is turning the water over 7.5 times per hour and I'm very diligent with water testing. I also plan on doing weekly water changes when the cycle is done. Would these habits allow me to go with maybe six 1" schooling fish...putting me at 24" in a 20 gal? Any other ideas?

I think that the six schooling fish will be fine! Maybe some glowlights, neon, black neon or rumynose will be nice. Oh, and you could get 3 loaches instead of 2

flow-rate on a filter is only 1/3 of the story....filter media type and volume are just as important....what filter are you running, and what is in it?

With live plants, frequent PWC, and sufficient filtration, 24" of fish in that 20G may not be a problem at all.

Tank

I'm using a Marineland Penguin 150 w/ activated carbon. I only have plastic plants for now but would like to migrate to live in the future...I do aerate though.

Wouldn't three loaches be crowded in a 20 gal?

Loaches typically do better when you have three or more together. That is why Blucat suggested getting more. A 20 gallon tank can support that many if they are small. Those loaches can get more than 4" long but there is no mention of how big yours is now. As long as you do frequent water changes, and keep an eye on the nitrates, you should be fine after adding some neon tetras or other small schooling fish.

loach size

I'm guessing about 3" long for the loach, he was in the store 3 months before I got him. My platies are really 1.5", not counting the tails.

Back
Top Bottom