Thinking of a 5-6 gallon tank - Worth the effort?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reberly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Damn, this hobby is addictive! Our eclipse system 12 is up and running well, the firemouth cichlids seem to be thriving in our high alkaline, high pH water. The only problem is, since my roomate insisted we have cichlids in the big tank, I can't get neons or they'll be eaten. (We've lost 2 zebra danios to the firemouths already) I was thinking of buying a 5 gallon bowfront or an eclipse system 6 to keep in my bedroom just for neons. I just can't help but love the little guys. I know that the smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain and I'm just wondering if a 5 gallon tank would be hard to keep. I'd have to use bottled water for the tank, that's why I was thinking of a smaller one. For some reason, we seem to have the worst city tap water in all of Ohio for aquarium use. Straight out of the tap, our water is over 300 ppm GH, over 300 KH and has a pH of at least 8.4. Doesn't this seem a bit ridiculous? I know that neons prefer a soft, slightly acidic water so I figured I'd use spring or distilled. Comments?

Ryan

You could make a beautiful set up with a 5-6 gallon tank. Neons would be cool, you could fit 4 or 5 in there, and maybe a cory cat to help with cleanup. I currently have a 5 1/2 gallon set up with two cories in it. I'll take a pic for you to check out. My (almost) wife decided she wanted to set it up full time, and so far so good.

Good luck!

Hey Ryan,

I have an Eclipse Sys 6 tank and have 5 cardinals in it (+ a clown loach but I don't suggest you get one 'cause it'll get too big - I will have to get a bigger tank for him).

Anywho.....the cardinal tetras are wonderful and bright. 5 or 6 of those and an algae eater would do fine. Maybe include some driftwood as the tetras love soft acidic water with tannin which leaches from the driftwood.

The eclipse tanks are easy to maintain and have the 3 types of filtration. The only prob I have with mine is the supply (or lack of supply) of the filter cartridges. I have had to recently make my own using an old cartridge, some activated carbon a piece of filter wool and some rubber bands. There are no supplies of the sys 6 filter cartridges anywhere here in Australia :cry:

I use bottled water too as we are on rainwater/tank water and we don't drink it only wash with it so I don't use on my fish either.

If you would like more info on the Eclipse Sys 6 tank feel frre to ask me, I'm happy to help if I can :wink:

Cheers
Louise

It's a quiet tank also :wink:

Well, I wanted to go with the Eclipse system, but my impatience and lack of time took me to walmart for a 5 gallon with a whisper filter. I'm fairly happy with it except that it has an incandescent bulb and I can't take the cover all the way off. Made setup a bit more difficult than it should have (setting up a new tank is my favorite part). Got a nice airstone that I buried in the gravel and some plants. I used 3 gallons of distilled and 2 gallons of drinking water. Added the appropriate amount of Aquaplus, Stress Zyme, and a couple flakes of food to jumpstart the cycle. No fish for a while though, gotta let the wallet recover. 8) Working at a college bar in the summer isn't very lucrative. Never thought I'd be wishing for the return of a bunch of whiny rich kids, but they do tip well. :wink:

I bought the same setup, and I don't believe it comes with a heater? If so, you might want to pick up the smallest one available at a lfs (the one I bought is only 8" long, top of the line fully submersible and it cost only $14.) Additionally, let me know if you come up with a solution to the incandescent light, I'm still looking for one. The bulb heats up the tank up to 5 degrees more during the day. I can't just screw in one of those replacement fluorescent bulbs, they throw off more heat than the tiny 15 watt in the tank now. I'll keep you posted on what I did.

Yea, the 5 gal didn't come with a heater but I'm not that concerned with it for two reasons, A) neons like slightly cooler tanks, and B) right now it's so damn hot down here that the tank is going to hover at around 75 or above regardless. We don't have central air so I only have fans in my bedroom to stay cool. The heater in the big tank hasn't kicked on in almost a week. Obviously I'll have to get a heater before autumn but if this summer is like last, I'm more concerned with the tank getting TOO warm.

Ryan

I have the 5 gallon tank and I just hacksawed the hood up and stuck two flo bulbs in there. I had to build a hood though

Back
Top Bottom