Thinking of adding a Feather Duster, peppermint shrimp, and a Curly Q anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spazz67

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have any tips on these guys? My wife, read that peppermint shrimp would eat corals, is this an absolute or just a chance. We can't find much on feather dusters, other than they are popular in SWA and are a type of worm and that they reproduce both ways. Also how do you place a feather duster? do you cover the tube with sand or place it on a rock? Also is our lighting good enough for an anemone and is this kind of anemone good or should we look at another? Anyone have any comment on these? Any info is welcome.

some answers

peppermints usually dont munch on corals, they arent known to but they might pick at them but they are only cleaning them, that is unless its a camel shrimp (often confused with peppermints) and in this case, it will likely eat your corals. i have heard that peppermints eat dusters though but i can not confirm that. the experts will have to complete my stuff and answer the rest.

Regarding your lighting... what is it, and how big of a tank are we talking about?

Peppermint shrimp *may* nip at zoanthids, but that's all I've heard of them picking on. But mine of 18 months never touched them. Good member of a clean up crew in my opinion, but a little shy. Don't expect to see it much.

This is what we have. Also is this too much current with 3 powerheads?
Our Equipment List
Lighting/Hood =
RO1636 Model#36PSDX Rated 120 VAC 60 HZ 40 WT
Bulb = Eclipse Natural Daylight F30T8 36in with a 22 on the end of the bulb.

Tank = 46 gal bow face H=21in W= 3ft Short D= 12in Long D= 16in with glass cover.

Powerheads/wavemakers= 1 Zoo Med Power sweep 30 gal wt pre filter (rotating)
2 Wal-Mart stationary power heads

Heater = 2x UL 100 wt

Filters= 2x Whisper 10-30i with Biofilters
3in (100 lbs appx) live sand bed (4/50 lbs bags of non sicila playsand mixed with 25 lbs of reef
orster shells and seeded with 20 lbs of actural live sand and
cycled for about 8 weeks. Still have about 120/140 lbs dried,
sealed, and stored in our building.
Bio Pro Sk-40 Air Driven Protein Skimmer (not in use at the moment)

Livestock= 1 A.O clownfish
1 sandsifter snail

Oh my... no, that lighting is not going to work for an anemone, it's not even going to make low light corals very happy. You might look into the dual bulb compact fluorescent fixtures as a minimum. And even with that, you're still on the low end for an anemone. I don't keep them, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment on the requirements for those.

I doubt you have too much flow, but without knowing the flow ratings (gallons/hour) it's impossible to tell. For a fish only tank, you should have a minimum of about 500 gallons/hour circulation for that tank. For a reef tank, you should be shooting for 750-1000 gallons/hour.

1. I have an 80 watt fixture over my 10g office nano reef, which is twice what you're putting on a tank 4.6 times as large. You're going to need to upgrade your lighting severely, probably to around 6-7 wpg (275 -325w) to handle an anemone, and only if your tank's been set up for a while. Anenomes aren't fond of new tanks. Also plan on making that fixture MH.

2. I have three powerheads in my home 20g nano. It depends on how they're oriented, how many gph they're rated for, etc. Example - 3 300 gph powerheads in my 20gal would be too much flow. three 106 gph poweheads are fine.

3. I've had a peppermint shrimp in my office nano for a year. Great shrimp. Like a previous poster mentioned, it's reclusive, but I've never once seen him bother a coral or any of my dusters. Now cyclop-eeze on the other hand... :D

Back
Top Bottom