Thinking of getting a Vortech MP10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MBliss81

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 38 gallon tank that has been up and running as an LPS reef for about 16 months since I upgraded from the 16 gallon nano reef I had previously. I am currently running two Hydor Koralia 425's, one on each side of the tank pointed upward toward the middle of the tank, and a mini-jet 606 in the back providing a little extra back-to-front flow.

I am thinking of buying an MP10 to replace the other circulation pumps because I would like more random flow and better nutrient export in my tank. I would appreciate any opinions, experience, anyone might be able to give me regarding these pumps that might help me make the decision.

I don't think I have terrible water flow with my current setup. Are the advantages of the MP10 going to be worth the cost?

I have a couple of MP10s in my 57 gallon reef. They are very nice powerheads. I run them in EcoSMART mode, which generates random and standing waves for 50 minutes each hour, and run in "nutrient export mode" for 10 minutes every hour. It performs extremely well, providing very random and strong flow for coral, and also keeps the tank clean. I have no dead spots, and have never cleaned anything off the sand bed or rock work in the 10 months they have been running in the tank.

They look really cool and provide a large amount of flow in GPH over similarly sized powerheads. The one draw back: They do make some noise. Being that the motor is on the outside of the tank, they can be hard, especially if you run them at high settings. I run each of mine at only 50% of max, but they can still be heard from time to time... it isn't terribly loud, but it is there, and you can hear it pulsing away from time to time. Very minor annoyance overall, and I am extremely satisfied. I run a couple of hydors for other applications in my other tank and also my mixing tank, and can't imagine having those things in my reef.

Thanks. That is the mode that interests me most, so I am glad to hear from someone who uses it and like their results. I do work from home, and the tank is in my home office, so the noise is a relevant issue as well. But I don't think the MP10 will be any louder than my Reef Octopus HOB protein skimmer, so no worries there either.

yeah, It is just every now and then, if the pulse is just right, that I hear it. It is a minor thing, but compared to an in tank PH that makes 0 noise, it is something I always make people aware of. I have seen so many people complain about it across many forums. Best to know any drawbacks up front. All in all, I wouldn't recommend any other PH.

Back
Top Bottom