Thinking of getting into saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildWade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a spare 10 gallon tank. My girlfriend has expressed a ton of interest in a saltwater tank. I've kept freshwater fish for the last 13 years. I was wondering what type of nano fish might work in the 10g or if it might have to be a coral only tank. Any advice on set up or stocking would be greatly greatly appreciated.

If you want coral you need special lighting. There are some goby species that can go in a ten. Thats all i know lol im freshy like you.

I'm also close to the coast so I considered doing a native caught tank. If fish can live in Galveston's water than I know they are hardy. Lol.

Nano Fish

A goby and a firefish would be a good combo, but 2 small fish is about the max you can have in a 10 gallon. Personally I find the fish from Indonesia, Fiji, etc. to be more colorful/interesting, but it's up to you. Going smaller is going to be harder since mistakes/issues will be magnified in such a small closed system. It's best for a beginner to start bigger and have more room for error.

Nano Fish

A goby and a firefish would be a good combo, but 2 small fish is about the max you can have in a 10 gallon. Personally I find the fish from Indonesia, Fiji, etc. to be more colorful/interesting, but it's up to you. Going smaller is going to be harder since mistakes/issues will be magnified in such a small closed system. It's best for a beginner to start bigger and have more room for error.

What he said.
I have never went saltwater but i may be turning a 20 long into a fowlr tank. I would use my extra 55 but that would cost to much.

What he said.
I have never went saltwater but i may be turning a 20 long into a fowlr tank. I would use my extra 55 but that would cost to much.

I'm a girl, but happens a lot since the hobby mostly consists of men. Ah that will look cool. FOWLR in small tanks can become a little boring imo if you only have 3 fish, but maybe you can go rogue and buy some corals :D

My thoughts were leaving the tank set up with just the live rock for a month or two after the cycle to just kinda make sure I have the hang of it before I start incorporating stock. I may try and convince my fiancée that we can fit one more 55 in and set it up for a true coral reef tank. :) they have grown on me in my research.

Back
Top Bottom