Thinking of getting out of the hobby for now! Still debating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people take a break, even though they love it, others just don't feel the passion anymore.

What are your pluses and minuses?

Usually when I feel the consideration, I do a complete rescape on the tank, and it usually makes me more content.

Indeed, what has you thinking about it?

I have taken a break myself. In my case, it was because I overdid it and setup so many tanks I no longer wanted to do the work to maintain them.

That's a good idea! Someone got me back into the hobby and I just lost interest for some reason. Loved it at a point but just feels like I'm to busy to give it the time it deserves

Maybe I will take your advice
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I take a break from it every summer, shut down tanks, stock remaining tanks real light. When it becomes more work than fun it's time for a breather.

Every time I want to shut one down i kind of rescape it or completely re do it.. i don't think I'd really want more than I have now though... i hear the to much work/not enough fun.anymore thing..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kinda how I feel sometimes about it!

Next month marks my 50th year keeping tropical fish as a hobby. In all that time, I have been without a fish in my house for approx 2 years. ( broken up, not consecutive). The longest period was about 9 months. What I found was I missed the interaction I had with the fish. Even if it meant having a Betta in the house, it was something.
The good thing is, tanks, when stored properly, can last a long time. I am currently using some tanks that were stored in my garage since the mid-late 1980s. All I did was clean them out. The silicone held and there were no leaks. They were in an air conditioned garage/ work shop so that the heat ( in FL) didn;t get to them. So if you need to take a break and don;t want to have to rebuy everything later, don;t feel you have to sell it all off now. Should you decide later that you are done, you can always sell the stuff off then.
The other thing is about routines. Sometimes, we make things much harder than they need to be. Find some ways of reducing the work load to make the experience more pleasurable than work. Maybe that will change your thinking?

Hope this helps. (y)

I don't need the money it was just something I started with someone and feel like I don't have it in me anymore.

well said and yes I agree with many things u said

Maybe you just need to switch it up alittle

Back
Top Bottom