Thinking of restocking my 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
1. How many tiger barbs can I put in a 4wpg planted 10g?

2. Can I put just 1 angel fish in there?

3. What would you put in there?

Thanks AA! - Noah

Barbs get 2.5 inches so maybe 3 based on their size. Barbs are nippy and do best in larger groups so the nippy ones can spread out the aggression so a 10 gallon is really to small.
No angels in a 10 gallon they do best in 30 gallon tanks.

In a ten gallon I would put a dwarf gourami, and 3 pygmy corys. If I wanted just one fish I would go with a dwarf puffer in a heavily planted tank. I understock my tanks and find my fish healthier.

1. - I'd say 4-5 since they are fairly quick swimmers.

2. - I wouldn't. Angelfish can get quite large. I have a 4" or so one in my 10g now that is eating some guppy fry. You can tell he is not happy with the height of the tank. I am going to be moving him to my 30g long.

3. - Shrimp colony? School of small tetras and a centerpiece fish?

What happened to all the fish in your signature or are you starting another 10g tank? If you are using the same tank I would clean it really well if you were the one that had a problem with ich and GBRs.

1. - I'd say 4-5 since they are fairly quick swimmers.

2. - I wouldn't. Angelfish can get quite large. I have a 4" or so one in my 10g now that is eating some guppy fry. You can tell he is not happy with the height of the tank. I am going to be moving him to my 30g long.

3. - Shrimp colony? School of small tetras and a centerpiece fish?

What happened to all the fish in your signature or are you starting another 10g tank? If you are using the same tank I would clean it really well if you were the one that had a problem with ich and GBRs.

Yeah that is me. In the tank now I have a GBR(f) ~10 black neons (ich), ~4 (ich, losing fins), 3 Lemon tetras (doing fine so it seems), 1 oto (fine, as well)

Increased tanks temp, lowered water level, and watching nitrates now.

1. How long did it take the angel to get to 4"?
2. I'm thinking of maybe just getting rid of all the tetras and keeping only 2 GBRs and an oto.
3. What do you mean by "clean out" the tank? Completely re-establish,or just wait 2 weeks for ich to go away?

Thank you for your response.

I thought you were basically starting from scratch, that is why I recommended cleaning everything out good. With a pair of GBRs and oto I would maybe add a few more otos and that is about it.

I'm not sure how long it took this Angelfish to reach 4". I just got the fish yesterday from a guy I work with. He was ditching his tank and was going to flush them. He said he had them for three months, I'm not sure what size they were when he got him... I'll see if I can find out.

I thought you were basically starting from scratch, that is why I recommended cleaning everything out good. With a pair of GBRs and oto I would maybe add a few more otos and that is about it.

I'm not sure how long it took this Angelfish to reach 4". I just got the fish yesterday from a guy I work with. He was ditching his tank and was going to flush them. He said he had them for three months, I'm not sure what size they were when he got him... I'll see if I can find out.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. My new plan of attack is to have fewer fish, and to do it healthily and be content. Having an angelfish peaked my interest, so if it's possible I might do that.

With GBRs, how many otos would you put with them?

In your experience Would you suggest getting a younger GBR male from a LFS for $8.99 or getting an older and much bigger one for $18.99? (anyone feel free to chime in)

My angels were about the size of a quarter when I got them within 6 months they were over 4 inches. I changed about 30% of my water twice a week and gave them a lot of frozen foods. After they got grown I went down to 25% changes. When they got a year I had to get another tank and separate them they were to aggressive, they are a little over 6 inches. One is in a 29 gallon and the other is in a hex that is a little smaller than a 50 gallon I think (thrift store treasure). I figure they are both the same sex so that was why there was so much aggression.

Back in the 70's people would say an angel would be fine in a 10 gallon and I did it, the only way I would do it now is as an outgrow tank for a spawn, with daily water changes. Something I am not prepared to do!

I am an understocker when it comes to my tanks. They are just easier to care for.

Dario Dario might be a nice option if you can find them http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Dario_dario.php

Back
Top Bottom