Thinking on a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokefan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok big question is I am thinking on buying a 14 gal Biocube for a salt setup. I have never done a salt tank before. Should I or shouldn't I attempt this? I am NOT wanting a large tank so going larger is really not a option. Owner of LFS told me that a biocube is a good start and if I take my time I should be able to handle it with no major problems. So I would appreciate some + and - on it please.

Thanks

First of all Welcome to AA. Your tank is very doable but it will require some dilligence as smaller water volumes are less forgiving if you have problems. You said a bigger tank is not an option so do the smaller tank but go very slow and keep a good eye out for problems. Smoke fan stand for Tony Stewart?

Mike thank you and yes I am a Tony Stewart fan. LOL. I plan on taking my time and asking plenty of questions. My somewhat LFS is very helpful and have been very patient and have answered my questions.

yep. Sounds great. And make sure you research any livestock you plan on adding for once your cycle is over. Good luck! (y)

I just recently took the plunge and started out with a 29G Oceanic Biocube. I also didn't want to start too big. I did what you plan to do smokefan with the addition of bioactive sand. I was cautioned on using it because of the shelf life, but I found some that had a sell by date on it, and my tank cycled really FAST. I didn't wash the sand for fear of washing out the good bacteria (the bag of sand had saltwater in it) and it took a couple extra days of waiting for it to clear up before I could rearrange my rock (after i added the sand i couldn't see ANYTHING so I gently lowered the rocks randomly at first), but it was worth the wait. GOOD LUCK

I am bouncing back and forth between the 14 and the 29. I am saving up my "mad" money for one, but I do know that I am going with the biocube either way.

If you had a choice between the 14 or the 29 i would say definitely go with the 29. It's more water volume and will be more forgiving than the 14G should any problems arise. And problems are pretty common in SW if you rush things, or if it's your first time doing this. My first time went pretty smoothly but there were roadblocks of course. you just have to be patient, take your time, and plan things out ahead of time. Also, lots of research. You can never research too much. :)

If your going to make the tank reef you might want to look into the lights between the 14 and 29. I believe the 29 has a less watt to gallon ratio, but I am not positive on this..

The watts per gallon "rule" is outdated and shouldn't be used when choosing a light now as factors such as the kind of light, PAR, and intensity are more important.

Both standard 14g and 29g kits have PC lights that can support softies and most LPS.

Well I guess I am wrong then. :oops: I thought lighting could be judged by watts if they were both literally the same type of PC light and the tank dimensions were proportional to each other. Anyways since the lights are equal I would go 29.

Thanks for the info, I will keep doing some research before making my decision

So who has the best prices on the biocubes? Still not sure yet which one I am getting quite yet.

I ended up buying a 24 gallon Cardiff by Current. I got It on Graigs List for $375 new with a different light that It typically comes with. I have since seen one for $350. I had a 92 gallon reef but got disabled and had to downsize. Good luck. The Cardiff is awesome.

Well it looks as if now I will not be getting a biocube. But I will be picking up a 29 gal. tank to make into a salt set up. So more research.

Back
Top Bottom