thinkn of changen my tank to cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyweir

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all I waz thinkn of changen my freshwater tank to cichlid.i waz thinking of restartn hole tank and adden play sand instaid of gravel would this be ok.and is there much diffrence between freshwater fish and cichlid fish I mean by lookn after them and water changes and feeding them any help would be nice thanks

What size tank is this? Well yes and no Cichlids are messier than community fish and you will have to change water a bit more. Also the feeding isn't much different just make sure you buy high grade cichlid pellets I use Omega Once cichlid pellets and feed them brine shrimp and blood worms once a week to.

They have more waste than most fish. You will have to get at least 2 filters

Not sure of gallons or litres but its L 3ft 3 and a half b 2ft and w 1ft

I have a rena filistar xp filiter would I stil need another filiter thanks

It's about 45 gallons and yes I would add at least a HOB filter you can get a cheap one on Amazon that's still good. I would go with a marine land penguin 350. It's only 30 bucks off Amazon it will be very nice to have 2 filters in the end. Also it's fine to remove put in play sand just take out all the gravel and put in the sand turn off the filter though tell the sand settles. Also what types of cichlids are you interested in hopefully South American/Central Americans. Always great to get someone else interested in these guys.

If I were you I would use pool filter sand instead of play sand. It costs the same, looks the same, but is much easier to clean.

Not sure what kind have to see what my lfs has in stock the last time I was in thay had maliwa not sure if thats how you spell it lol and that quiet cheap for a filiter thanks for your replys my lfs isnt very helpfull so its good to get some help

Any time just ask any questions you have evrrybodys here to help out. The malwai I think that's how you spell it lol are cool colored but to me the Africans like them just don't have the personality of South Americans.

If I were you I would use pool filter sand instead of play sand. It costs the same, looks the same, but is much easier to clean.

+1. And less cloudy compared to play sand. Easier on the filters too About 10$ for 40lbs

Back
Top Bottom