Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much gph flow you pushing in your tank now? Everyday when I get home from work I get to see my tank clearing up more and more. The flow off my korellia 1050 in the 55 is great. I can't wait to start it up under my radions, first one ordered today. Any plans for an ATO? I'm considering one pretty hard. Either going to be gallon jugs that I swap in and out or an old keggerator I used to keep my dog's toys in. When we getting updated pics of the tank and your corals?

im going about 1300 now. with the sump running it will be 1600. i was thinking about buying radions, tell me how they are for you please. i will probably do a 3 gallon ato once the sump is up and running. i didnt know that dosing pumps were so much cheaper compared to water pumps.

Well, after seeing others in the forum put ato's together, I'm just going to do it with an aqualifter. They are pretty solid and cheap as I already have one on my overflow box.

ya thats what i meant. i know its supposed to keep the siphon on your overflow, but how? ill probably have to do that too.

update

just finished drilling the stand and putting in the sump. it worked great. i just need to finish the return and ill be done. ill be using the mag 5 for it. it has a 3/4" threaded output. what should i do with it plumbing wise? i was thinking add a threaded union, put a ball valve on, then flexible tubing all the way to the u-tube?

alright, well i bought my pump, clamps, and directional u-tube. it totaled up at 70$.. a little more than i hoped but its worth it. i was going to buy the pump used on amazon for 20$ less but i think id rather get a new one knowing i can trust it to not have problems. all i need now is the tubing for the return. pretty easy to get for me because i have a hardware store a short bike ride away from me pics when everything comes

umm... can you go overkill on a skimmer?? i just found out one of my family members was a major aquarium junkie. he asked if i wanted a german berlin skimmer that was about 500$ for free. it was for his 120 gallon tank. im willing to switch how my refugium and intake is if it will work. my sump will be up hopefully tomorrow!

A skimmer rated for 120g should be uber on a 30g tank. :) Unless it's really old and the pump or technology isn't there.....But yeah, I'd definitely check it out and see if they have any other stuff. You could be hitting the jackpot here! LOL

btw, watched your vid. I still wish my tank was going as well as yours. My blue trumpet frag is doing better than the colony I was excited for, most of it bleached out and is dead. Still can't get most of my polyps to open, I haven't talked about them as I was more interested in my symphodium. Anyway, back on track, why miracle mud for your fuge? I haven't read much positive stuff about it.

woohooo!!!! i think its a venturi so thats great. If its way to big i could always sell it and buy a nice reef octopus, or a dent in saving for a car lol. Sniper, im having some problems too. its really hard to get rid of cyano lol. i just cant seem to kill it. its not that im doing anything wrong anymore either. i dont know. and hey, i know how it feels to have a coral die also, no worries, it happens to all of us. i was thinking of using miracle mud because ive heard things grow better in it. if someone tells me otherwise and has proof here ill definitely change my mind though, the price alone is making me question it. Ill get a substrate once i figure out what im going to do with the skimmer. im so excited now, no more crappy hob skimmer!!!

update
my sump is up and running!!!! i dont have room for my hob skimmer at the moment though.. it looks nice and ill put pics and a vid up once i paint the chips off the back of the tank that i made. it worked very well but i definitely am gonna need to have more filtration. maybe filter floss, not sure. right now i have a lot of live rock and 2 different macroalgaes. one is a red type and the other is chaeto. the pump is working great, but i had to slow it down a pretty good amount. the only things i dont like right now is the overflow box being way to big, and the tube going to the intake makes WAY to much sound.

When my overflow was gurgling, I adjusted it so it leaned into the water more. This solved the issue. Might want to try it.

Also, instead of buying a bottle of pods, save up your money and wait for a deal off of a site like reefs2go. Reefs2go has some nice pods and I don't grasp spending money on them when most sites are basically giving them away for free. This way you can get yourself some fish/coral you really want plus 1000 or so pods.

How did you put together your screen? I can see more work with eggcrate, but that is about it.

Good call on the directional return. When I finally move over to my 55 I'll be going that route. Right now I don't have any pvc set up on my 36 and looking to do that with the 55 so it is cleaner. That is on the end of my list as lighting is more important atm.

When my overflow was gurgling, I adjusted it so it leaned into the water more. This solved the issue. Might want to try it.

Also, instead of buying a bottle of pods, save up your money and wait for a deal off of a site like reefs2go. Reefs2go has some nice pods and I don't grasp spending money on them when most sites are basically giving them away for free. This way you can get yourself some fish/coral you really want plus 1000 or so pods.

How did you put together your screen? I can see more work with eggcrate, but that is about it.

Good call on the directional return. When I finally move over to my 55 I'll be going that route. Right now I don't have any pvc set up on my 36 and looking to do that with the 55 so it is cleaner. That is on the end of my list as lighting is more important atm.

its my lfs version of the eshopps 300. i pulled the sponge out and that seemed to do the trick with my sound problem. hopefully it stays. ill check out reefs2go, your right the price is crazy at my lfs. ill probably by that seriatopora with the money i save lol. i told them to hold one for me and they actually did. they dont care when i buy it, they like the piece anyways.

i put the screen together with mesh and eggcrate. i got a sheet of eggcrate, wrapped the mesh around it, and put zipties on every other square on the perimeter. works well but wish it was tighter fitting.

Thanks, i didnt really want white pvc in my tank anyways. this way it increases flow in my tank, and looks a lot neater. i love the sump so much. the only problem now is the ball valve on the return. i cant get it just the way i want it and it keeps getting too low or too high. luckily i catch it in time so it hasnt run dry yet.

Back
Top Bottom