This is my tank. 55 gal soon to be planted tropical.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya, not to worry I did rinse it very well. What was nice about this one though is that it was not dyed so I think that helped a lot. I was pretty clear after one day. I love the way it looks. It looks so clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think two rosy barbs will cycle a fifty five- maybe four but do lots of WCs

Ya I know your right. I just wasn't seeing any fish I liked. Petsmart has some very nice looking fish though. I'm trying to support the mom & pops near by. I have to say though I'm new to the hobby but my LFS has some dirty tanks. They are not centrally filtered like Petsmart I guess that's good. However they have yellow dots on some tanks, she told me those tanks are in quarantine. She can't sell fish from those tanks because those fish are being treated for something. I guess this is good that they treat fish rather than let people buy sick fish or let them die. I can't help but to wonder if they cleaned the tanks more that they may have less sick fish. I defiantly was in a bit of shock by this and that's why I didn't buy more.

I just put them in yesterday. When should I do the first water change? 50%? How often should I test the water?

Test every other day and wc at least 25% a day or 50% every other if any readings besides nitrate are over 0. 15% a day otherwise.

I picked up 3 more fish

I picked up 3 beautiful Danison Barb. Now I have 5 fish so Now I should be able to cycle the tank properly. I LOVE these fish! I also did a 25% water change and everyone is looking great! I had a few plants die. :ermm:

Ya, not to worry I did rinse it very well. What was nice about this one though is that it was not dyed so I think that helped a lot. I was pretty clear after one day. I love the way it looks. It looks so clean.

Oh good :)

Yeah no dye is great!!

Good god cycling is a hard process!! I guess my tank being in the wall and needing a ladder to reach it don't help! I have been doing 25% WC every day but tested ammonia lev today it spiked to .50 so I did a 50% change today. My family keeps telling me "I don't think you really need to do that" I can't believe for so long I had this attitude too. No wonder our fish always died.

I have a few questions if anyone can help. First I got some flourish plant food today. The lady at the shop said I can use it during my cycle. Is this true? My water readings were like this today.
No3 20
No2 1
Ph. 6.5
KH. 40
GH. 180

I'm a little lost the lady at the fish store said my water was way too soft.
Asked if I had a water softener. No I don't but I have seen something about drift wood making water softer. I know it's soon in my cycle but how do these readings look? The only thing that changed in the past few days is No 2 went from .5 to 1

I did some crazy stuff today! Call me a newb but I went to the black water river by my house and found some plants! I rinsed the roots real good and put them in! I did some rearranging, took a big pice of drift wood out too. Now it looks like they have more room to swim and I have more room for plants! I don't know what 2 of them are but the one along the back of the tank that looks like Bamboo is horsetail grass. People put it in there coy ponds so why can't I put it in my tank? Hey if it's free it's for me! The fish love it the weave in and out! Man I love the way it looks now!! The water is cloudy now but getting better!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413772708.105248.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413772721.564345.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413772733.147508.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413772770.323174.jpg

Ok here is an update on my tank. I removed all of the horse tail grass it didn't do we'll. I did some rearranging took out some rocks and added some more plants. I lost the 2 long finned rosy barb to a strange infliction. It may have been ick but the spots were not too noticeable. I have been doing 50% water changes once a week my canister filter is doing great it's keeping the water nice and clear. My ph is 7.2 , 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites. I have added all the fish I plan to get.

4 Denison Barb
2 Coy Angelfish
6 Angelfish (Black Vail, Marble,Gold)
6 Cory (albino,Emerald,pepper)
2 Oto

I think I may be over stocked in the long run but for now they are all juveniles and all are getting along great.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416263736.413406.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416263801.378475.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416263843.444134.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416263865.230365.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416263888.754687.jpg

Hello, tanks looking good, couple things though. No offense please. That anubias.. is it buried in substrate? Starting to get a little bba on the edges.. how long the lights on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No offence taken I'm new to this. If your talking about the black stuff on the edges. I purchased it that way. My light is on for about 13 hrs a day. I have noticed some new growth that doesn't have it. I love my plants so any advice is greatly apreciated!

Any strange spots on any of them I purchased them this way. I tried to pick the healthiest possible but plants are slim Pickens around here. The black I also tried to rub off its stuck like a crust.

Couple things.. 8 hrs max on lights or else the algae will get worse, anubias are best off tied to dw or rocks, they have a a rhizome which needs to be exposed to open water or else it will rot. You can spot treat the bba with hydrogen peroxide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If your looking to buy more plants I highly suggest going to plantedaquariumscentral.com I have ordered several times from here. They always arrive extremely healthy and are packaged incredibly well. She also usually throws in some extra plants too. I'm about to place another order in couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom