This is weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaimonique

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have had the same neon tetras for a week now and this weird enough because we have suffered a high fatality rate since we set up the tank a few weeks ago...well this brave bunch have survived two water changes...one was 25% and the one I did today was 50%...water was really cloudy so the 50% change did the trick...I took a peek to check on them just to see how they were doing and I noticed one may have a loose scale near his mouth (I hope thats what it is anyway)....I added a little salt...all the other fish seem healthy...his eyes dont look the same as the others...they seem a little glazed over while the others are bright...tested the water and the levels are perfect...should I be concerned or just let the salt work its magic?

Just read the stickie...I have a 10 gal...bio wheel 100...nitrate 0...kh 80...ph 7.2...water is soft...tank has been up since 04/26/12...t neon tetras...in since 05/04/12...1st water change was...05/06/12...25%...2nd was today...50%...so changing water weekly...they eat flakes daily and dried blood worms about twice a week

Did you properly cycle the tank before adding fish? Do you have tests for ammonia & nitrite? What are you using to test (liquid or strips)? I suspect your tank is not cycled yet because you have zero nitrates- nitrates are the end product of the nitrogen cycle. You likely have ammonia & nitrite present which are highly toxic to fish and would explain your fish losses. Some more information will help!

I did a week tankless cycle...i did have water issues in the beginning but since they have been fixed my levels have been perfect...even had them tested at LFS....they arent dying at this point i have one with what looks to be a loose scale right over his mouth...he moves around a lot so hard to really focus in on the area...just wondering if I should be keeping an eye out for any other possible issues

Running your tank for a week wont cycle it. A fishless cycle from scratch can take anywhere from 4-8wks. Most lfs use strips- they are inaccurate at best. I would suggest investing in an API freshwater master test kit asap so you can monitor your water conditions for yourself. Amazon sells them for $10-15 cheaper than most stores. Without accurately knowing your water parameters during a fish-in cycle, a lose scale is likely going to be the least of your issues here. You really should be testing daily & doing water changes as needed to keep toxins in check until your tank is fully cycled. Please ask if you have any questions! Heres link with some more info:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Back
Top Bottom