This is what happens when you don't pay attention

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found this guy the other day in my HOB overflow. It's really sad that it has to go because imho they look sweet. But oh well.

75748-albums12608-picture62718.jpg

I have three or four of these in my reef tank. Being just a newbie....should I be getting rid of them?? They are getting large and are brownish.

I have three or four of these in my reef tank. Being just a newbie....should I be getting rid of them?? They are getting large and are brownish.

yes you will immediate removal, they will reproduce like mad and sting/kill your coral. some of them are actually really cool looking, like the one mebbid posted :), but they are an extreme nuisance. don't do anything until you have learned methods of removal, without causing it to produce spores

http://www.saltyunderground.com/pages.php?pID=11

Repost:

True to their name, Aiptasia sp. Anemones (which means ‘beautiful’) are elegant creatures, but they are also invasive and aggressive competitors. Left unchecked, they will often totally over-run an aquarium.

Aiptasia have developed to be survivors. They reproduce both sexually and asexually, and are capable of regenerating and entire creature from a single cell. In addition, they are armed!

When Aiptasia are disturbed (either by a passing fish or invertebrate) they eject dangerous white stinging threads called acontia that contain venomous cells called nematocyst. These nematocysts are capable of delivering a potent sting that can cause tissue regression in sessile corals, immobilize prey, and even kill unlucky corals, crabs, snails or fish.

Considered by many experienced reef enthusiasts as a pest (or worse), early identification and action are necessary to quickly remove Aiptasia from your tank before they reach epidemic proportions - making control/removal far more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom