this might get me in trouble, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can empathize with both sides of this argument. I personally don't want to think or know that my fish were wild-caught. I know it is anthropomorphizing, but I would always imagine them pining away for their days of freedom. Maybe I shouldn't have watched "Finding Nemo." I would rather believe they were captive-bred and I am giving them the best possible option under those circumstances. I can even argue logically and believe logically that in many cases an aquarium home will certainly meet their needs. It is just an emotional reaction that I can't adjust.

And I understand the emotion when you think people are making the wrong decisions for their fish. I admire people here who work in fish stores and try hard to educate people about caring for fish before they buy them. I couldn't do it, because I would know that many will never listen anyway, and the fish are headed for certain doom. I got a catalog today with another betta death row prison for sale, about the size of a Christmas ornament ball, to hang in your kid's room. People buy them. It goes on all the time.

I know logically that fish brains aren't like human brains. I believe it is possible to keep them humanely and so that they will be content--whatever content for fish equals. And I have to give major points to anyone who cares enough to come to a website like this to ask questions about what to do with the wild fish they are adopting.

Anyway, just rambling. Threads like this are why I like AA so much. People here really do care about fish, even when they disagree.

I edited out all of my opinionated posts.

On the betta bowl note: One of the reasons i really like the LFS i found and frequent is he is ethically opposed to selling betta bowls, 4 way betta tanks, common plecos and other large fish (unless you special order them), and works hard to educate folks on the right housing requirements for fish. He is very involved with the customers, asking questions, making good, valid suggestions, and honestly tries to educate.

We have great discussions, and our views don't always match. But his fish are the healthiest i have ever seen, and I would trust him with my fish. He offered to care for them while I am out of town for a VERY reasonable price and I will very likely take him up on it.

He hasn't been to my house or seen my tanks, but knows some of my fish by name and what kind of fish i keep. when i come in for new fish, he asks which tank, and offers suggestions of who they would be best suited for.

he posts on his tanks not only fish names and prices, but maximum size. His goldfish and koi tanks say "pond fish primarily" and he spends lots of quality time with goldfish newbies, explaining size and waste. He has posters of the nitrogen cycle on the walls of his store, and gives out "proper cycling" brochures, explaining cycling takes weeks... and how it works. He has posters about the consequenses of dumping fish in the wild of florida waters. He offers "self made" kits that are a bit more pricey than petSmart, but worth every penny.

While he does everything he can to make people be responsible with their fish, he still is a businessman, and handles these things agreeably and will sell what needs to be sold. but he makes a good profit, his store is very nice and he has a lot of dedicated long term customers.

I am lucky in this aspect. I found a really good LFS. I had to look thru about 5 before I found it, but man, I am really happy about it.

EDIT: Oh, he does sell bettas btw. And displays them in regular tanks... 1-2 per tank with other fish for sale, 2 if they get along, one if they don't, and in non aggro tanks.

fish store

Wow! I am envious!! That LFS and manager/owner sound like one in a million. Almost good enough to move to Florida for. Almost. lol

This thread has degraded in to nothing as the OP has removed almost everything they posted.

No longer a valid thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom