Those moments that make you shake your head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all, to the poster who brought up women/men, gender has NOTHING to do with this hobby AT ALL.(such a ridiculous thing to say, I'm sorry)

I have a co worker I usually talk to... She keeps a goldfish in a bowl and tells me she cleans his bowl when it turns brown and cloudy, I tried explaining the nitrogen cycle ..but she just does not understand. He is Just a fish she says... ):

I am passionate about my fish, will do whatever it takes to make them as comfortable as possible. Fish keeping in my opinion is very easy...all you have to do is a bit of reading, that's it!

All i can say is god bless and thank you to everyone on this site who had helped to point me in the right direction, gotten me out of some big mistakes (and they would have kept growing, and growing), and taken time out of their days to help others who are getting started in this hobby.

I come frome the reptile world and like some of the stories here, it breaks my heart when i see or hear of people who are making drastic mistakes (like keeping a burmese python in a 20 long cause "they only grow to the size of their tank") but wont want to listen to others who have come before them.

My hope is that i will be able to help others from making mistakes that will hurt or kill their fish, just as people have done for me. So again, thank yoo everyone who has and will help others to do the right thing and take care of their pets.

lol there just fish..i hate hearing that from ppl. not to long ago i went into petsmart to get a bubble wand,,so i thought i get my water tested on my 29gal FULLY CYCLED tank just to see what they show. the guy test my water and says your nitrItes are off the charts (of course there using the test strips)...now im not stupid cause i did a API ammo, nitrites, and nitrates liquid test before i left my house and there was 0ammo 0nitrites. i say thats weird cause its cycled..he said how long was it cycling for? my response 4 weeks. petsmart guy: oh thats not long enough:facepalm: so he offers me aquarium salt to "bring down the nitrItes" im like no thats stupid it will kill my snail..he said well you need it..No i dont. so by that time ready leave cause i'm mad :banghead:. petsmart guy askes how did you cycle your tank? me: ummm with hardy fish. petsmart guy tells me no you cant do that it wont cycle you have to let the tank sit with no fish to cycle. he doesnt tell me i have to put pure ammo in either for it to work. (now i do know about fishless cycling and how to do it) i said NO to cycle a tank you can have fish so they can produce ammo to make nitrites and nitrates to cycle.. oh i was so mad cause of how uneducated ppl are there. he thinks since hes 17 and works at petsmart that makes him a aquarium expert. sorry for my ranting. but has anyone else had this experience at petsmart with their employees?!:facepalm:

has anyone else had this experience at petsmart with their employees?!:facepalm:

I've learned now when I go to any LFS, I just go in to get what I came for and leave. I dont ask any questions anymore becuse honestly, its a waste of time. I have found that of all places, the guy that comes once a week to restock and maintain the tanks at Walmart actually knows what he is talking about.

In response to the gender thing... I find it much more difficult at work to convince the OLDER generation (60+) to do things the "proper" way than the new generation.

I had an older gentleman in who only had a 40 gallon. He bought an oscar and two convicts to go in there despite my explaining to him that it wasnt enough space.

I had an older woman who had 4 fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, and wanted to add a 5. I told her it wasnt a good idea, but never refused to sell her a fish (technically i cant where i work) and she went to my manager and complained.

I've had more rude comments that I am a "dumb teenager" from the older generation... Not that there is anything wrong with being a teenager, but I'm almost 24 and find that insulting. I also have a degree in Animal Science, have had tanks most of my life, etc.

On the other had... I had a younger couple in the other night and our competitor had basically told them get a ten gallon, throw some fish in, youll be set. All their fish died within two weeks and they wanted to start fresh. I got them a heater, a gravel vaccuum, a API masterkit, and went through the process of cycling. They came back a few days later after a water change (i told them not to touch the filter) and talked about their test results... They decided they are going to do a guppy/snail/ghost shrimp tank.

Another younger woman bought two ADF's at hallmark.... I talked to her about how bad of an environment that little 1/4 gallon tank was and she upgraded t0 a five gallon... with a mini heater! Now the frogs are alot healthier and are actually swimming around and eating!

I've learned now when I go to any LFS, I just go in to get what I came for and leave. I dont ask any questions anymore becuse honestly, its a waste of time. I have found that of all places, the guy that comes once a week to restock and maintain the tanks at Walmart actually knows what he is talking about.

ive started doing that too at chainstores. unless its this store tails n scales in derby,ks i get great advice from them and there very knowledgeable. there not a chain store either(y) i highly recommend checking them out if your in the wichita,Ks or derby,ks

I'm actually arguing back and forth with a girl on a Facebook yard sale group that is keeping a Convict in a 2 gallon tank with nothing more than a bubble stone. I have tried telling her that he needs a MUCH bigger tank, proper filtration and a heater and she insists because he is a baby that it doesnt matter yet......SMH

Back
Top Bottom