Those plant bulbs you can buy at Wal-Mart....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e burna

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever grown these? They're a national type of product, brand name, by the tetra fish food and all that. They're a little cardboard backed bubble wrap package with plant bulbs in it that are supposed to grow in your tank. I bought some once, and NONE of them grew. Anyone know about these?

The company that produces those bulb packs is Custom Sea Life in Sioux Falls, SD which is not too far from us. The bulbs when they get them are all of great quality but, as I understand it, by the time the packs go through the Walmart distro channels and then sit on the self for a while the quality and viability of the bulbs really goes down. I think they have a mailing address on the back of the package that you can write to them at. They might, and I really don't know, offer to replace the bulbs for you.

e burna said:
Has anyone ever grown these? . Anyone know about these?

I bought a pack almost a year ago and all of them grew, you have to let them float or sink (which ever they do) until it starts to grow out of seed(if you will), then plant. The plants stay farely small but when I changed to high-light and CO2 injecting did they grow like monsters. My tiger lotus green and red are huge, one leaf is about the size of an open adults hand. I also bought a pack a few weeks ago just for the onion plant, and it is growing well. Good luck!

I have these bulbs, some aponogeton and some dwarf lily. The company will indeed send you replacement bulbs if any do not sprout. I'd take them up on it, because what they send you will be in better shape than what you get at the store. Here is a pic of my 10-gal with dwarf lily from Walmart over to the left:

normal_s%2010gal%20no-tech%20Apr%202005.jpg

I also bought a pack a few weeks ago just for the onion plant, and it is growing well. Good luck!
Onion Plant, that's new (so far as I know, I haven't really looked at them for a good while).

I'll keep any eye on my local wallyworld selection, if they have that, I'll buy one.

I have them in two of my tanks. I have never returned the "non-sprouters" because I wasn't sure if it was worth it. Glad to know someone else did with good results. Forgive my cluelessness: what is an onion plant? Did it come in the same packet at the rest?

I bought three packs from walmart and only 3 of the 15 bulbs sprouted. I sent them back to the distributor and they sent me replacements in less than a week. 11 or 12 replacements sprouted within 3 days and now they are massive apon plants with an average of 20-30 leaves per bulb. The lilies also sprouted and look great...very dark red leaves.

fishyrican said:
Forgive my cluelessness: what is an onion plant? Did it come in the same packet at the rest?

The bulb resembles an onion, IMO.
Scientific name: Crinum thaianum
Origin: Thialand
Produces ribbonlike leaves which usually grow very long and float horizontally on the water.

I brought a pack of dwarf lily's and they are growing great, but they took about 2 weeks to start growing.

the apogotons are nice but my base started rotting and most of mine died. but the lillies got way to big for my tank so i had to cut them and now their regrowing.. personalyl i liked the apogotons betetr

These bulbs will go dormant periodically, so do not be surprised if they suddenly die back. Some people remove them and let them dry out and some leave them be.

There is no way that you could pack a Crinum thaianum in a bulb pack and expect it to live more than a couple days. It's a soft tissue plat that does not come from bulbs. If you could post a pic we could help identify this plant for you.

I bought that same pack.

The onion and the lily are doing great. The other 2 bulbs did nothing, I didn't even consider returning them...wish I had saved the receipt.

I am pretty sure, this thing is an onion...thats what the pack called it....and that's what it looks like..leaves and all. Is there such a thing as a water onion? or do regular onions just grow under water well.

there are water onions but i highly doubt it is from the bulb pack.. probally a apogoton buld

I got a pack of aponogetons and a pack with an aponogeton, a barclaya, an onion, and a waterlily plant. I only have 3 aponogetons that have sprouted and are growing. The barclaya and onion sprouted also but that's it. I think I threw out the other aponogetons but do still have 1 of them and the waterlily that haven't sprouted, so I think I will send those to get new ones. :) One of my aponogetons has grown quite beautifully and big. It's grown a few flowers also, the actual flower sprouts above the water. They can grow pretty tall.

Back
Top Bottom