Those that have used chemiclean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know a lot of you guys have used it and I know many are against chemicals, however what is done is done. I dosed last night around 6 or 7PM. Here's what I did. I shut my UV off, took out my chemipure elite and added an airstone to my DT. I left the skimmer on, but even at the lowest setting it was overflowing. I raised it by 3 or 4" and loosened the collection cup so if overflows at the neck and collects in the cup (it was still overflowing at a higher water level and lowest setting). So my question is, how long did you see any type of results? I know it hasn't even been 24 hours and the directions say up to 48 hours, but I woke up to a lot of cyano and more has grown throughout the day.

Off topic a little (sorry) but why did you choose chemi clean over redslime remover?
I just dosed 2 of my tank with redslime and the one that has the strongest skimmer(and ozone) is showing results within 2 days.
I second dosed on day two regardless of directions(done this before unfortunately) as I have had cyanno before.
Right now I am not 100% I have cyanno as I believe my issue is red cotton candy algae but I dosed anyways(read this wasn't going to work if it is RCCA) but I have been wrong before!

This stuff also lights light. So as your lights are on it will feed and grow. Red slime remover and chemiclean aren't solutions, only a step towards solving the issue. The nutrients are still there along with the low flow that cyano thrives in.

Chemiclean takes a few days. I think it works better than the red slime remover. True, it's just a remover of the visual aspect of your problem, and it will come back if you don't address the nutrient issue, but the 10 water changes you are going to have to do before you are able to get your skimmer to stop overflowing should help with that ;)

Alright, maybe someone can help me further. I just checked my phosphates again and it's down to .03 (from .07) and absolutely no nitrates. How could I still have a nutrient issue?

You just can't see it. It's there. One way or another....if you have nuisance algae you need light, nutrients, and of course water, and it will flourish.

Wait till the cyano is gone, then do water changes until you can get the skimmer to stop overflowing. I think that's going to go a long way towards lowering nutrients.

Just wait a couple more days..then a couple more water changes vacuuming out what you can and you should be good.

I use to turn skimmer off,but it just prolongs the treatment time and makes you do more manual removal.
You need to remove what you see dead,and go from there.
Out of the two tanks I have treated the same , the one with the best skimmer and ozone is clearing the fastest.
You need to crank the skimmer down in the beginning(way down),and then slowly increase it , to keep up on it running properly and removing crap.
If the skimmer doesn't do it you need to with waterchanges.

This is what Im dealing with:

img_3233871_0_11c0acd4f4540cc684883a5a24454a66.jpg

img_3233871_1_287eec2ea2608a15243de2c5cf3119da.jpg

Well, thats my dillema. The other side of the tank, the MP 40 is about 8 inches of the sandbed. I have one of the return lines circulating the top and the other aiming at that clear patch to the right of the rocks in the last picture. I know I need more powerheads, but trying to find some used MP40's is a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom